Author Topic: What can I conceal?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline 300grJHP

• Trade Count: (0)
What can I conceal?
« on: December 01, 2010, 02:45:59 PM »
Hello all.  I'm getting my concealed carry permit next month and will begin shopping for a new pistol for Christmas. 

I wear slacks, a tucked dress shirt, and a tie every day.  With that clothing, what are some pistols that you believe I will be able to conceal comfortably and without printing?

thanks,

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: What can I conceal?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:01:21 PM »
Sounds like a pocket holster is going to be a real contender for you. I would look at a hammerless revolver in .38+p, S&W is always a good starting place for revolvers. Second would be a pocket .380, Ruger LCP gets tons of positive reviews. If you are set on something larger in a belt holster you are probably going to change your wardrobe, or accept an occasional slip.

If you are dealing with tailors for your work dress now, let them know your intentions and they can line the pockets and other mods to help you out.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »
Do you carry a cell phone?

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:14:55 AM »
Another option is the P3AT. One of mine has the belt clip installed for left side carry, the other carries in a Nemesis pocket holster. either one can be carried in any attire and give you seven rounds of .380. Both are virtually undetectable with a tucked shirt, and give you at least a minimally effective self defense cartridge.
Savage

An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 02:23:45 AM »
Or-----------if you want something slightly more powerful, the PF9 in 9mm is not much larger or heavier.
Savage

An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:43:44 AM »
If you can find one, a colt mustang pocket lite in 380 or a seecamp in 32.  In a larger gun...I still like a SW3913 (again if you can find one)...or a LW 38sp of some kind.  I also wear a shirt and tie everyday so it's not really the gun as much as how you carry it.  Pocket holsters get old for me quite fast...I've been the most successful with a ppk in an in the pant holster.  I clip the holster to my pants in front of my rt hip, underneath my belt and push the whole thing down so that the top of the gun in just below my belt line.  Then the natural baggyness of my dress shirt (nothing fitted for this chubster) covers over the top.  Just an idea...only thing I'd change is going to a stainless gun...yes...they can rust...but not as easily.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »
What Empty Quiver said......

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 03:36:23 PM »
That would depend on your body type and the type of holster you choose.  With a good IWB holster like Crossbreed's Super Tuck you may be able to conceal a full sized Glock or 1911. 

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 05:17:07 PM »
what about the kahr pm9. my nephew has one and loves his.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »
My vote goes for the Kel Tec PF-9. It's the thinnest, lightest 9mm made and has a very good reputation for reliability and accuracy. I love the P-32 as well but the PF-9 is just a tiny bit larger and with the 9mm Luger cartridge it has way more punch. Both are so easy to conceal that I carry them in holsters on my belt, both at the same time, with just a T-shirt pulled over them and they are invisable. Both fit nicely in a variety of pocket holsters as well and are so light you hardly notice they're there. Also, Kel tec has an extemely great service department.  Grips come in Black, Grey, OD Green, and Wallet Brown. Slides in Matte Blue, Parkerized, and Hard Chrome

Here's a pic of my PF-9 9mm Luger, OD Green with Matte Blue Slide 18.2 oz. loaded 7 + 1;

My P-32 .32 Auto,Navy Blue with Hard Chrome Slide 9.4 oz loaded 7 + 1;

Offline gray-wolf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:36:30 AM »
Well it sounds like you do not use a sport jacket or a loose fitting vest. 
So unless you open carry or have some other body parts that we don't know about--
it looks like your pockets are it.  Only you can choose what will fit in you pocket and not print sitting or standing.
 Pocket holsters do help knock down the outline a little. 
Have to remember that the smaller the gun ( most times ) the less fire power.
  But Lets not forget about the ankle holster. Over-looked by many
but they work quite well.  I used one for years and never had a problem.  I never liked the ones with a bunch of straps and loops and hoop La.  A good holster with a good Velcro hold down over the pistol so you don't loose it.
A nice fit around your upper ankle and a nice chunk of Velcro so you can tighten it around your ankle.
  A short barrel air weight 38 with some +P ammo. Or a small 9MM.
It wont take long to get used to a pistol in an ankle holster.
  Is it you job or the climate ?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 09:34:43 AM »
Your mode of dress makes concealment rather difficult. Not impossible mind you just more difficult. With a jacket or proper vest options increase.

I doubt with the dress you mention you'll be able to use any type of holster or clip as mentioned that attaches to the belt as there is just nothing over it with a tucked dress shirt to hide it.

That kinda narrows it down to perhaps three options in my opinion. Option one is a pocket holster and the P3AT works nicely in one and will be hidden in your front pocket. I don't think you can do the same with the PF9 unless you have larger and deeper pockets than most of my pants have.

There is an item called a belly band holster which I did a review on once a long time ago and then after the review sat it aside and haven't used it for carrying since. I personally don't like it but it does work and if you're not as fat as me it might even work well for you. It's an elastic band with velcro fastener that you wrap around your belly beneath your shirt and if you wear the gun in front the tie should easily cover anything that would show. Again I think a P3AT is about as large as you're gonna fully conceal the way you dress but you might can hide the PF9. I know it fits as I've put mine in it but I just personally don't care for that carry method and I dress in a manner that gives me a lot of other options.

Lastly there is what I refer to as the crotch carry. I suppose it has a proper name I just don't know it. The entire holster fits down inside your pants in front and I think all that shows is a loop to the belt used to pull it up and out when needed. Not my idea of a proper way to carry but for some it works.

Lastly don't over look the cell phone case carry for a P3AT. I often carry mine that way and to the world it just looks like I have my blackberry phone in the carry case. You can wear it where ever along the belt you wish strong side, cross draw or well to front on either side that seems comfortable. Of course if you also carry a cell phone in an obvious position and use it often folks might wonder why you have two cell phones tho I'm sure some folks use two. My cell phone stays in the truck when I get out. I sure wish I could find one of these to fit my PF9 but it's just a bit too large for the P3AT cell phone holster.

Revolvers are not nearly as easy to conceal as a small semi auto in spite of what some folks believe. I do often carry one but it won't conceal in places where my P32, P3AT and PF9 will.

Add a sport coat or long enough loose vest and your options increase to most any IWB holster and even some outside belt holsters and then a PF9 or S&W J frame snub nose can be hidden easily enough.

You might also look into the day planner holster. They look and function as a day planner perfectly normally for an office worker but hide even full size semi autos if you get the full size planner holster.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline S.S.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
read the laws for you state closely, some are quite specific
on how and where on your body you can carry.
Unless the law has changed, I can not use an ankle holster.
nor can I carry in a pocket. Beltline and shoulder holsters
are about it.. I wonder also, Why does the right to keep and
bear arms normally only get discussed about firearms?
Arms(armaments) range far more widely than powder burners.
But there are multiple laws concerning edged weapons also.
Knives specifically designed for offensive use (double edged,
half double edged etc.) can not be carried in many states.
Kind of off subject but just curious.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »
what about those t-shirts with built in hidden pockets that 511 makes

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »
the next state over requires a holster
i got in the habit of a pocket holster...less printing and the gun stays  cleaner

my son go me doing this....i carry m640.....357 smith
he carries  642 smith...aluminum   38....and  ruger 380LCP

he always thought the smith was too  big
now  he thinks the 380  is too  weak...and complicated....i told him that befor he got it

i used to carry  a tip up  25acp......then got to looking at those little bullets...even with 10 of them?
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
what about those t-shirts with built in hidden pockets that 511 makes
I have one and it works great. A very easy and comfortable way to carry. Mine has holsters under both arms. i carry my PF-9 in one side and my P-32 in the other. Both sides have velcro closures to keep your firearms from slipping out should you bend over. Some guys I know carry a firearm in one side and spare magazines in the other. With a shirt over it you can't tell anything is there at all.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 05:05:40 PM »
What works best for me is a pocket holster with a Kel-Tec P3AT.  A Ruger LCP, a Seacamp in 32 Auto or a Beretta Bobcat in 32 Auto would be equally concealable.

I have used the elastic belly band holster.  It works OK but is a bit warm and didn't seem that comfortable to me.

I've also used the above mentioned "crotch carry."  It's actually called Thunder Wear.  It's comfortable and the gun is relatively accessible though in a "situation" it might be a bit difficult to explain why you were reaching for your crotch.  If you were asked to give up wallet or keys, going for your pocket would be expected.

I tried an IWB hoslter with a revolver and found it quite uncomfortable.  If I had used it with something thinner like a Colt 1911 it might have been more comfortable.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 06:32:42 AM »
My vote is still IWB with a good tuck-able holster.  Can you tell that these guys are carrying full sized pistols in the following videos before they pull them out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEsEBnR7-V8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGQYGYznDL0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sba22lojGbw&feature=related
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 06:42:50 AM »
If you can find one, a colt mustang pocket lite in 380 or a seecamp in 32.  In a larger gun...I still like a SW3913 (again if you can find one)...or a LW 38sp of some kind.  I also wear a shirt and tie everyday so it's not really the gun as much as how you carry it.  Pocket holsters get old for me quite fast...I've been the most successful with a ppk in an in the pant holster.  I clip the holster to my pants in front of my rt hip, underneath my belt and push the whole thing down so that the top of the gun in just below my belt line.  Then the natural baggyness of my dress shirt (nothing fitted for this chubster) covers over the top.  Just an idea...only thing I'd change is going to a stainless gun...yes...they can rust...but not as easily.
The New Sig P239 is a copy of the colt mustang, so much so I saw an add for Magazines for either and the sig SKU.
When I was looking for a carry gun I ended up with a Sig P230, a much larger gun.  But it was something that came out in my hand when I pulled it out.
I think there is a big trade off of stopping power and size of the gun as well as practical shoot ability.
If you are happy having a mouse gun like a Walther TPH, Beretta 22 or 25, and the micro revolvers.  Your going to need to practice getting the gun out and in your hand comfortably and able to shoot it.  I have a Walther TPH.  Tiny little gun and if your hand gets in the way of the slide two things happen
1) you get cut
2) the gun does not eject the spent round.  leaving you with an unloaded gun.
All I can tell you is figure out how you want to carry and then shop for the largest gun that will fit that bill.
Having a novelty gun on you is not going to make you safer.  i see some of the micro hide out guns as novelty look at how small I can make this.
A meduim framed auto in the 380 or 9mm or a K or J frame sized revolver are going be your chioce for a personal protection gun in the terms of power and useability.  While I have talked about carrying my mouse gun it was for a few reasons- 1 I really needed to hide it as I was carrying it Illegally here in CA.
and my worries were mostly 4 legged - Coyote or wild dog while out walking my dog.  Having practiced with the little gu every chance I went to the range I was confidant if I needed it for a two legged problem I could answer the problem.  I would have felt better with a 380, 357, or 9mm but thought if I did shoot I could justify the 22 for the coyote and dogs out on my walks.
One other thing i found in shooting competions is that the same ammo that is effective out of a 4" or 6' revolver is not as effective out of a 2"
Steel dingers that moved with the 4" gun did not move with the 2"  both with similar hits.

An inside the waist band holster and a PDA or Cell Phone holder on the outside hides it well.

Offline Knucklehead

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 07:14:52 AM »
Get a Ruger (latest generation) LCP, (light compact pistol) in .380, and either a deSantis pocket holster, or a IWB tuckable holster for it.  It's so light, you will litterally forget you have it on.  Or, if you like that size, but want more power, and have a lot of cash to spend, get a Rohrbaugh 9mm Stealth.   Forget about ankle holsters and the like, you'd never get to it in time..

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 01:26:06 AM »
If you decide on IWB, you will need pants the next size up.  In other words if you wear size 32 go up to a 34, you need room for you and the gun.  If the belt/pants are too tight it will restrict the gun and print the gun/holster. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman