Author Topic: 20 Ga. USH Old style rifling vs. Ultragon rifling  (Read 567 times)

Offline ideal60

• Trade Count: (0)
20 Ga. USH Old style rifling vs. Ultragon rifling
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »
I have a 20 ga. USH with the traditional rifling. Is the ultragon rifling a better deal? Can you really shoot foster slugs accurately and no leading? If so it might really be worth having one considering the difference in cost between sabots and fosters. Any one have experiance with this? Thanks, Ideal 60

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 20 Ga. USH Old style rifling vs. Ultragon rifling
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:38:13 AM »
I also have a 20 ga USH with the standard rifling that I am very happy with. I have never heard the new Ultragon rifling will shoot Foster style slugs with no leading. A new urban myth perhaps?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline fish36

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 20 Ga. USH Old style rifling vs. Ultragon rifling
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 04:52:39 AM »
I have not heard the Ultragon rifling is for other than the saboted slugs. I have the Ultragon rifling in my ULSH 20ga and am very pleased. The rounds are expensive but you do not need many once you are sighted in. Here is a picture of my sighting in targets. Number 1 and 2 are shots used to sight in a TrueGlow red dot 1x30 scope/sight.($39 @ Dicks) #3 is 5/8 inch high to allow for zero at 100 yards. Shots 4 and 5 are as good as I would think you can get at this distance with a 1x scope. The dot took up the hole center of the target at 100 yards. The dot (5 MOA) is equal to about 4 inch circle at 100 yards. Very consistent flat shooting with this round. The scope is very light and allows for quick shot placement. Good luck shoot straight!!
Tracker ll - 20ga Rifled barrel-Red Dot scope
   2nd Barrel - 20ga 28" ventilated rib/adj. choke
Mossberg 535, 12ga - 28" Accu-choke -
   2nd Barrel - 22" Accu-choke "Turkey" xx-full - Red Dot scope
T/C Triumph 50 cal Black powder
Mossberg Model 190 - 16 GA Bolt action
Marlin Model 60 - 22 LR
Savage Mark ll - 22LR