Author Topic: H&R 999 Cylinder Catch Spring installation- help needed  (Read 1060 times)

Offline HR999

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R 999 Cylinder Catch Spring installation- help needed
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:15:02 PM »
Hi,
I am a newbie looking for help.

The cylinder catch spring on my H&R 999 Sportsman broke.  I bought a replacement from Numrich.  Problem is, I can't get it to install without it binding.  Looks like it ought to be simple.  Can any one help me by providing instruction.  It would certailnly be appreciated.

Offline jim ritchie

• Avid Poster
Re: H&R 999 Cylinder Catch Spring installation- help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »
2 possibilities.
Be sure you do a very good clean out of the slot it fits in, I used a toothpick and a dentist pick, amazing how much crap I got out of there!
Also mine seemed to keep binding as I slid it into place.
I ended up putting a little more bend in the spring.
About 1/2 inch from the end that slides in, there should be about a 15 or 20 degree bend, just bend it a few more degrees, it helped keep mind from binding as I inserted it.
Hope this helps
Deceased 3-31-2012

Offline HR999

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:09:51 AM »
Jim,

Thank you for the response to my request for help.  It turns out that the problem was caused by the end of the ejector extension being slightly deformed and it was snagging the spring with the result of binding the cylinder rotation.  Your answer was helpful because once I knew the problem was probably not likely the fault the spring, I started to look for other possible causes.  I apologize for the late reply and thank you;  I had to be out of town for family matters.

Thanks again,
Bill

Offline jim ritchie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:30:22 AM »
Bill,
Glad it's up and runnning again.  8)
Enjoy!
Jim
Deceased 3-31-2012