Author Topic: People that shoot two animals by mistake or accident.  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
People that shoot two animals by mistake or accident.
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:39:21 AM »
At last Wednesday's lunchion we were telling hunting stories while waiting for the guest to show up.  One of the guys told about having to shoot two bears, so I decided to tell about the time I had to shoot a second Moose. 

I was going out on the Rex trail the last day of Moose season.  I saw a Bull Moose run across the trail ahead of me.  I stopped at his tracks and followed them in the freshly falling snow.  About 150 yards into the willows a Bull jumped up.  I could see antlers through the brush, and had a good clear shot to the shoulder.  I made the shot, Moose fell.  I worked the bolt and chambered a new round.  I heard something off to my right and looked in that direction.  Here came a Big Bull, running like a freight train.  I went to turn to face it and be able to get a good shot.  My feet got tangled in the willows and down I went, flat on my back.  Here came the charging Bull and all I could think of was being stomped to death.  I raised my rifle with my right arm, sighted over the scope and barrell, fired.  The .338 bullet hit the Bull low in the right chest, angling up through the heart, and breaking the spine.  The animal fell close enough I could reach out and touch it from where I laid.  While the animal could not get up, the front legs were still very active for about two or three minutes.  Flailing the ground trying to reach me.  I rolled left, got up, and ran.  Then when I saw the Bull could not get up I went back slowly. 

I gutted both animals and went to spend the night at a friends house at the highway.  Next morning I told him what had happened.  My friend told me that one menber of his hunting party had not got a Moose, and he would be greatful for the meat and tag it.  I called this guy and went and picked him up.  We rode 4-wheelers back in about 10 miles to the kill site.  Upon arriving the guy asked a bunch of questions.  He looked the site over real good, then once satisfied I was telling the truth he pulled out his tag and punched it.  We cut up both animals and was back out by late afternoon.

A woman sitting listening, made a statement.  “What if that Moose had made one more jump before you got your shot off”?  I thought about it for a split second and realized that would have put it right on top of me when it fell.  This was a 61” Bull Moose, a big boy weighing between 1500 and 1800 lbs.  I would have been trapped and unable to get out from under such a large animal.  Wolves and Varmints would have taken care of the remains.  I had never thought of how close I had come to being trapped under that animal.  All I had ever thought about was how close I came to being stomped.  Either one would not have been good.

By the way, the guy that tagged the second animal?  Two years later when I reported a poaching incident he was the State Trooper that came to the scene and did the investigation.   I later asked my friend why he sent a Trooper to tag the second animal.  My friend said “I knew you were telling the truth, and he is a good cop and would have figured it out as well”.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: People that shoot two animals by mistake or accident.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:29:56 PM »
SOURDOUGH. That was a close call for sure. A few years back our former pastor called to see if we wanted a deer to butcher, of course I said yes. His oldest son had shot a nice buck that morning and stayed put when it went ran the brush. In less than a minute it came back out again, so he shot it again. After he left his stand he walked into the brush and found 2 nice bucks laying dead about 10 ft apart. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:48:04 PM »
One year I took an Airman with me hunting down on the Kenai.  We stalked a good sized Moose for about an hour.  At 40 yards Joe made a shot.  Bang Flop, then Moose stood back up.  Joe shot again, another bang flop.  We went over to make sure of a kill and there lay two big bulls, oops.  Since I was the one yelling for him to shoot again I felt responsiable.  I tagged the second one.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »
My story ain't near as scary. The wife and me went out to get our antelope. We were on a two-track out in the sage brush and it was one of those times the goats were curious and came within 50yds of the truck. This little bunch milled around a bit while we got out of the pickup. I waited for them to thin out some so I could get a clean shot. Well, I didn't see the one behind the one I shot. Got two with one round from my .243. My wife didn't mind tagging the extra one and we were home with meat hanging before noon. She got me back the next year though. She got the bigger goat than mine with a perfect heart shot in high wind at 312 paces. Again we were home before noon on opening day.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »
I quit visiting a hunting web site when they started showing videos and joking about intentional single kill shots through the first and into the 2nd deer.  To make matters worse for me, they reveled in and laughed at their actions over my objections of the unethical if not illegal practice. 

We're all taught NOT to take the shot if there are other animals or endangered "targets" behind the one in which we're aiming.  Mistakes are made.  Life threatening decision too.  In these I take no issue.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 01:49:08 AM »
dont know about the states you guys live in but in MI its illegal to put your tag on someone elses animal.
blue lives matter

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 09:12:03 AM »
Yep'er! Here too!
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 03:22:28 PM »
Legal here during shotgun deer season, strong tradition of party hunting, pile 'em up and sort out the tags. Part of the reason I quit...in addition to being shot at. If legal, I'd rather not see the animal go to waste.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 08:59:22 AM »
Our local game warden took his new bride out to one of our local ranches so she could shoot her first ever Mule Deer. They drove out with the rancher, spotted a nice buck, all stepped out of the truck and the new bride made a great shot following the Game Warden and Rancher's direction. The next day the rancher found a dead doe and called the warden to let him know. After a short investigation, it was determined that the doe had been back in the brush behind the buck and the bullet had passed thru the buck and killed the doe too. The game warden wrote his bride a ticket. There were no further reports on how long the Game Warden had to sleep on the couch but I can say from personal experience that he was a real grouch for a couple of weeks.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:56:02 AM »
I think it's funny how some react to game violations and how they will rewrite regualtions to suit them.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.violations

Here the big one I guess Sourdough missed     "Failure to report defense of life or property kills " and this "filling another person's bag limit"

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 06:52:18 AM »
He knows it's illegal in AK.  But sometimes it happens, and if by mistake and the situation is recifiable....  Do it.  Why let F&G waste most of an animal?
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline IOWA DON

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 07:05:11 AM »
I used to hunt turkeys on land belonging to a farmer who did not hunt. He told me he shot two deer with one slug, by accident. There was no way he could top that so quit hunting. I did not understand his thinking, but everybody is different. I've shot two praire dogs with one shot a number of times and it was intentional. The bullet fragments exiting from the first prairie dog seem to have plent of energy to kill a second one. A friend shot an antelope in a herd and got two by mistake. We did not notice the second one until after the first was cut up. He had extra doe tags so it was not a problem. One time I was shooting downhill at a flying pheasant and there was one running behind it at almost the oposite direction. I did made an effort to pull the trigger at the time their paths crossed and got both. I consider it one of my luckiest shots. I also got two with one shot another time, but both were flying in the same direction, and thee times got two (flying) quail with one shot.

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »
I think it's funny how some react to game violations and how they will rewrite regualtions to suit them.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.violations

Here the big one I guess Sourdough missed     "Failure to report defense of life or property kills " and this "filling another person's bag limit"

I think your the one that's missing it. I think it's funny how some people just don't get it. Whatever IT is.

The trooper in the first story gets it and that should be good enough!

There was no intentional law breaking here and the matter was resolved appropriately.