Author Topic: Revolvers with full moon clips  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
Revolvers with full moon clips
« on: December 25, 2010, 08:55:56 AM »
I would like to have a revolver that can utilize the use of full moon clips, preferably in a 38/357 caliber or other similar caliber. Anyone have any info on which revolvers can be loaded with these clips?
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Revolvers with full moon clips
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 11:05:32 AM »
Hmmmm, clips, moon clips and half moon clips are meant for use with rimless cartridges to allow them to be used in revolvers.  Most are in caliber 45 acp.  The 38/357 are revolver rounds and using speed loaders, all chambers can be loaded simultaneously and with a revolver all the cases can be ejected simultaneously, which is what happens with the use of moon clips and the like. 

IIRC there is a S&W that is a medium bore, for some reason the 38 Super comes to mind, that either uses moon clips or cylinder mounted spring style ejectors, or the 356 something - they are specialty revolvers I believe but maybe someone else here knows of them.  There is also or at least used to be a 9mm j-frame but I don't think that is still available.

If you were (possibly) thinking of a speedier way to reload or a easier way to carry extra cylinders full of ammo, you may wish to watch some of the speed shooting competitions on the shooting channel, or get some videos of some of the falling plate or IDPA competitions where some of the shooters use revolvers.  Check out what they use for reloaders and how they carry their spare loads.  Some of those shooters are incredibly quick and you might be able topickup on a few ideas. 

Tryin' to help.  Merry Christmas.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 11:42:01 AM »
Almtnman, Maybe if you tell us what you are hoping to accomplish with moonclips we can better lead you in the right direction.   Generally speaking moonclips are used in order to allow the use of rimless pistol ammo in a revolver format.  Since most Automatic Pistol calibers have a more or less ballistic equivalent in a rimmed (revolver) load I don't see much advantage to an ACP chambered revolver other than maybe having a revolver and pistol that can share ammo.

If speedier reloading is what you are looking for in a revolver consider speed strips or speed loaders for your revolver.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »
What I am after by wanting moon clips is a really fast way to load and unload and carry extra ones ready to go. I have been told that the moon clips can be loaded faster than with the speed loaders. The speed loaders require dropping into the cylinder then a twist to turn them loose. The moon clips, just pop them in and that's it. I have an old 38 special that I use speed loaders with, but just wanted to get that extra edge on speed in loading and unloading.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »
Here's an article that will better describe what I have in mind.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_7_52/ai_n16419699/
AMM
The Mountain

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 02:10:35 AM »
Ah ha!  Once again the famous massively aloof lays it all out for us.  OK Altmtnman, if that's whatcha want then go find some idpa shooters and find out where they get their stuff or have it made.  I have no idea how you could covert a M10 38 Spl to a moon clip revolver or what sort of moon clips you would use with a 38/357 but if he says so they must be around, and you surely can e-mail S&W and find out about their 38 Super rimless revolvers or their 7 or 8 shooters.  You can also contact some idpa folk, or attend a match or two, and inquire of the shooters where nad how they get their stuff. 

I guess if the massively aloof sez it is that much quicker and easier then it just has to be.  Good luck.  Maybe some idpa shooters can help you further.

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 02:50:40 AM »
Safari speed loaders do not require the twist, just pushin against the cylinder to release.  The trouble is finding them, probubly best on the internet. 8)
Moonclips can be a real pain to unload the brass from and can be bent if a tool isn't used. :(
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 05:14:13 AM »
Well, Almtnman, that article pretty well lays it out for you, an S&W 625 in .45 ACP. Jerry Miculek reloads one with incredible speed, if you watch in slow motion he actually throws a full moon clip into the cylinder. I once had an old 1917 S&W and loved the clips, either full or half moon. The full moons are the ticket for speedy reloads but the half moons are less bulky in the pocket and permit reloading after 3 shots. Even the full moons are much less bulky than normal revolver speed loaders. For the .38/.357 variety I guess you would have to go to the S&W custom shop for both the revolvers and the moon clips.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 05:26:32 AM »
If you can find a S&W  mod. 610, it can use the clips for the 40 S&W, and chamber the 10mm cartridges without them.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 08:30:55 AM »
coyotejoe, I might have to start looking around for one of those old S&W model 625 and see if I can find one. I like a 45acp anyway, started using that caliber back when I was in Korea and saw what it does on human flesh. And my everyday carry pistol is a 45acp, but in a semi-automatic, so I have the components, dies and all that's needed on hand to keep myself a good supply of 45acp ammo. Might even have to look for the model 610 as Tom suggested. That would be neat to have one that could utilize both the 40 S&W and 10 mm too.

Thanks to all of you in getting me pointed in the right direction.  ;D
AMM
The Mountain

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 08:42:44 AM »
While searching for full moon clips for my wife's 9mm Ruger Speed Six I discovered a company called "TK Custom" that offers a variety of moon clips.

According to their webpage, they can machine the cylinder of various revolvers to take 38 / 357's loaded into moon clips. They only advantage I can see for this modification is to give you a slightly faster reload - extraction & ejection will not be changed.

I'm not sure if the expense is worth it or not. Might be better to simply practice with conventional speed loaders. I have learned that bullet profiles will have quite an impact on your speed loaders; rounded noses are far easier to align than wadcutters as they will align themselves to a high degree.

:-\  :-\  :-\

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 09:13:12 AM »
Merle, I looked at TK Custom's website and noticed that they had full moon clips in different thickness. I might get back on there and send them an email asking about why they come in different thickness. I was wondering if the thinner moon clips could be used in a chamber that hadn't been machined, but I'll ask them and see what their reply is.
AMM
The Mountain

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
Merle, I looked at TK Custom's website and noticed that they had full moon clips in different thickness. I might get back on there and send them an email asking about why they come in different thickness. I was wondering if the thinner moon clips could be used in a chamber that hadn't been machined, but I'll ask them and see what their reply is.

Since I was looking for Ruger moonclips I didn't pay a lot of attention to the S&W clips, but a wild guess would be that the various thickness might be due to a sturdier clip. I would also expect that the cylinder would have to be machined to suit the thickness you wanted.

???  ???  ???

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
notice how he has a ''magazine''  for the moon clips!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anZ2Q2LWTv8

here  is a  38 j-frame conversion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLJvWIQopII
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.