Author Topic: 30-30 report sound  (Read 519 times)

Offline sunshinegirl

• Trade Count: (0)
30-30 report sound
« on: December 27, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »
I am bored with the TV, so I decide to ask this question. Why on earth does a 30-30 fired in the woods sound so differently than any other cartridge. Kind of a tic pow report. I have fired lots of guns, but can't remember this sound coming from anything other than a 30-30. Rachel

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: 30-30 report sound
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »
i  have heard that ''tic pow'' report  on several other  high power  rifles

where others just go  boom  or bang

you are hearing the muzzle blast  and the sonic boom of the bullet

with  my suppressor  i can hear the sonic boom of 9mm  as they  fly

if a gun is fired in  your direction....[never a good thing]
you would here  the crack  of the bullets sonic boom  first....[the  ''tic'''
and then the muzzle blast......the  ''boom''  in the  ''tic boom'' report
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »
 Speaking of weird sounds, I've heard rifles fired from a distance make a pronounced, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS=Boom!  Have no idea where they were pointed!  As for youyr 30-30, you might be hearing the hammer strike just that fraction before the primer ignites the powder. 

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »
Only time I have heard the tick pow sound was when a bad person was shooting at me.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 02:54:50 AM »
Where I hunt in the flat lands of east NC where people are shooting long distance over bean fields I hear the sssssssssssssss-SMACK-BOOM often late in the evening when the air is heavy. It is the bullet cutting through the air sssssssssssss and the SMACK is the bullet hitting a deer and the BOOM is usually from some 30 Cal. Mag of some sort.

If I hear ssssssssss Boom, ssssssssss Boom, ssssssssssss Boom, sssssssssssss Boom, ssssssssss Boom. It is usually some guy with a 742 or newer version Rem or Browing semi-auto that can't hit the wall of a barn even if they was inside it thinking firepower makes up for accuracy.  :) . They usually miss but if you hear a bullet hit it usually has a PLOP sound to it from a gut shot.  ::)