Author Topic: crooked scope rail  (Read 831 times)

Offline TK

• Trade Count: (0)
crooked scope rail
« on: December 14, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
got stuck with an H&R 12 gauge slug gun that the scope rail is crooked on. There are not any screws holding the rail on like some NEF's.A magnet will stick to it so I'm guessing it is soldered on.
Could it have been dropped and hit hard enough to move it? Its tight and I don't see how it could have moved with out breaking the joint.
I fear it was put on at the factory like this and got by final inspection.
Don't reckon there is a home remedy for this,with 15 days left in the season......

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: crooked scope rail
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 04:47:02 AM »

Strange as it may sound you might try shooting it first. While it might not be pleasing to the eye it might get you through the rest of the season. When the season is over you could sent it back to the factory, but call them first and have them send you a shipping tag.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:38:03 AM »
Burris Signature Zee rings with a set of their offset inserts will correct the misalignment problems, but I agree that it should go back to H&R for repair as Rusty suggested.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/repairs.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Thunder

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:31:29 AM »
It is not a low to medium temp silver solder. I tried to heat mine up and it never moved. Send it back unless you have access to the proper equipment to machine it and free time on your hands.

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »
if this is one of the ultra light 12ga's with the rifled barrel then yours is not the first one i've seen with a crooked scope rail, if you talk to remington could you do us a favor and try to find out what type of solder/method they used to attach the rail. it would help a lot of us out. 

Thanks Zack
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »
Did you just purchase the slug gun brand new from somewhere local?  If so, I would go back and ask them what they would suggest.  It probably should go back to the manufacturer but maybe the store would send it back for you and save the shipping costs.  That same thing happened when I purchased a Browning Buckmark 22lr pistol...Someone had dry fired it before I purchased it and there was a firing pin indentation that wouldn't allow a round to be chambered.  I took it back to Gander and explained what had happened...They took it off my hands and sent it back to Browning for the fix without a $ out of my pocket and that is as it should have been.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »
H&R will send a UPS return shipping label to cover shipping if you ask, it's H&R's mistake, they should make it right without involving the dealer who isn't at fault.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »

And if you have the factory send you a UPS shipping label you'll get door to door service from your house and right back again without the hassle of going back to the dealer.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »
H&R will send a UPS return shipping label to cover shipping if you ask, it's H&R's mistake, they should make it right without involving the dealer who isn't at fault.  ;)

Tim

I must disagree with you on that one.  If the dealer sold the item with an obvious defect, they share a small portion of the blame whether it was a manufacturing issue or not... ;)
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense