Author Topic: CVA Apex  (Read 3016 times)

Offline teddybaham

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
CVA Apex
« on: August 14, 2010, 04:36:44 AM »
I bought a 35 Whelen in the CVA apex and honestly it has the tc beat. fit finish and eronomics ohh and price. of course tc has more chamber offerings but not for long. i was cutting holes with factory 200 gr. rem core locts till the scope died, the replacement should be in the mail soon i hope.
heres one of the target i was using when the scope died i only took a pic of this one to send to the scope manufacturer. two in the same hole where the ones i shot 1st to see where i was at then i started working up to be 2" high. the next shots were at the bottom of the paper then the rest werent even on the paper.
what part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand???

Offline kodiakemt

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: CVA Apex
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:47:39 AM »
I hope they start putting out more calibers. I would hate to see the Apex turn into the Elite.

Offline kmbrown

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:11:26 AM »
Is CVA still making these?  I was told by my local gun shop they weren't.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:39:19 AM »
Apex is still being made. They are moving their HQ so they can store more inventory and get shipments out a lot faster.  They can not keep up with the Demand right now and so it seems like barrels for the apex are scarce.

Offline kmbrown

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:18:22 AM »
That's what I was told when I called them yesterday.  Seems that nobody has any in stock.  My brother in law was wanting one but ended up buying a .35 Whelen Handi instead.  Thanks

Offline CScape

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »
I was lucky enough (and had the time) to order the complete Apex in .45-70 Govt., which I just took to the range last week (see photo), with sub-MOA results at 100 yards, as well as finding, from two separate vendors, the .270, along with a with standard taper forearm, and the 300 Win Mag.  The 300 came in today, and the .270 should get here within a day or so.  If the accuracy of those barrels equals the .45-70, the Apex will be the only rifle I carry afield, and I have several others, including a favorite Remington 700 that is 38 years old and still shoots MOA.

I will agree that Apex barrels are hard to come by, having literally spent the last two weeks online and calling vendors looking for them.  Bergara and CVA are both owned these days by BPI, who must be overwhelmed by orders, since they have not deemed me worthy of an email response to the two I have sent them via their website over the last two weeks.  It also ticks me off a bit when registering my centerfire rifle, to get an email response thanking me for registering my muzzleloader!  Someone up there needs to remember that they are now in the centerfire rifle business!  Laughingly, I also see that both their CVA and Bergara online stores show their own APEX barrels completely out of stock, so I hope Bergara hasn't gone the way of the Spanish economy and tanked!  I would hate to have to start treating these barrels and rifle as collector's items! LOL

Does anyone know whether the Georgia facility is actually making or planning to make barrels, or just fronting the U.S. business and warehousing what comes in country?
NRA Endowment Member; MS Gunowners Assn Life Member; Shoot only what you can't miss.

Offline jjenkins

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »
my wife bought me a 7mm08 barrel for my apex for christmas, she ordered it from Gander Moumtain but it was shipped from BPI products Peachtree, Ga. i know this because fed ex driver handed it to me monday.

Offline CScape

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:17:50 PM »
I'm gonna post this comment here, as well as in the CVA Customer Support discussion string...hopefully someone from BPI/CVA/Durasight is monitoring.

I would like to suggest/request that BPI have Durasight create a custom, tapered rail for their Apex center fire standard taper barrels.  I just mounted two very expensive Leupold scopes on the 270 and 300 Win Mag barrels, and I think a) the forward part of the rail hanging out in space detracts from the overall appearance of the firearm, and b) I am concerned that vibrations in the unbraced portion of that aluminum alloy rail will eventually affect the scopes, especially in the magnum calibers.  Leupold PRW mounts on a Leupold scope have to use the forward cross channel, leaving the front mount clamped to a rail hanging in space...not good.

BPI, if your monitoring, we Apex supports who have purchased a barrel full of barrels would appreciate a better-fitting rail, and a swap-out offer if you decide to make one for your excellent barrels.  ...CC...
NRA Endowment Member; MS Gunowners Assn Life Member; Shoot only what you can't miss.

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 04:31:44 PM »
Got a good up close look at the Apex today.  I was impressed.  It is solid, feels good when shouldered and the fit and finish looks right. 

I really like the way the black powder breech unscrews from the barrel.  I can see an Apex in my future.
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 11:44:07 AM »
Placed my .308 Apex on order today and will pick it up next weekend at Cabelas in Ft. Worth.  Will order additional barrels as well.
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney