Author Topic: snow shoes or wadders  (Read 669 times)

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
snow shoes or wadders
« on: December 31, 2010, 03:49:10 AM »
thunder/lightning and rain on dec. 31st and to top it all off the power went out this morning
the back yard has about 3-4" of water standing on it now and it is raining again. it is gonna be a real mess 
anyone else getting the good stuff at there house.
 so much for the last day of deer hunting  ??? i can not see sitting in the rain in the end of dec. a good way to get sicker than i already am. oh well i got next year to hunt, it just seems so far away. ;)
       rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
Re: snow shoes or wadders
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 03:59:47 AM »
Ripoff, man! We had great snow until last evening when a driving rain soaked the area for about an hour. Now we're going to have a crusty mess that's no good for skiing, and will make things very difficult for small game hunting for the rest of the season, which ends at the end of February.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:15:49 AM »
Don't think I'm gonna be doing any hunting today :(.  Will be dark by the time I get home, and I'm planning on going out and celebrating New Years anyways.  Oh well.  I already got a really nice 8-point this year, and I've still got a month left for duck season, so it's all good. 

New years resolution: must acquire a nice semi-auto 12ga for the ducks (I have 2 but they have reliability problems which keep my going back to my 870 - nothing worse than a gun you don't trust).

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
MGMorden:

My buddy the duck hunter really swears by his Beretta auto. 390 family, but I'm not sure which one. He has frozen it, dropped it in the lake and fished it out, etc. Never any reliability problems. (He did have to thoroughly clean and dry the gun when he got it drenched under water, but otherwise he doesn't do a lot of maintenance. Just routine cleaning.) It's a more expensive auto, about $1000 I think, but he says it was worth it. Most of his other guns are cheapos, but he put more into this one to solve various problems. For a while he was using a single-shot because he couldn't trust his other duck guns, so he finally got this Beretta.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 05:35:08 AM »
You think it's bad where you live. We had snow piled up waist high on the back door yesterday. I hadn't put the ice shanty out yet and now I don't know if I'll be able to get it to the edge of the lake because of snowdrifts.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:46:24 AM »
MGMorden:

My buddy the duck hunter really swears by his Beretta auto. 390 family, but I'm not sure which one. He has frozen it, dropped it in the lake and fished it out, etc. Never any reliability problems. (He did have to thoroughly clean and dry the gun when he got it drenched under water, but otherwise he doesn't do a lot of maintenance. Just routine cleaning.) It's a more expensive auto, about $1000 I think, but he says it was worth it. Most of his other guns are cheapos, but he put more into this one to solve various problems. For a while he was using a single-shot because he couldn't trust his other duck guns, so he finally got this Beretta.

Yeah - a friend of mine has one that he likes.  He did have to send it back to the factory once to get it right (kept snapping on live rounds), but he has been happy with it after it returned.  My brother is shooting a Stoeger (Turkish made subsidiary of Beretta), which he had a devil of a time with - same issue, but first trip didn't fix it in this case.  Sent the gun back 4 times before he basically demanded a replacement.  The replacement gun has worked flawlessly though, and he loves it, despite the initial problems.

My two autos are a Browning A5 Magnum and a CZ-712.  The Browning - ugh.  Hate that gun.  Not only is it heavy, I'm convinced that it mysteriously EATS shot somewhere down the barrel.  The pattern is just non-existent at usable distances.  The CZ - it doesn't always return to full battery after a shot at which time it'll snap on you.  I contacted CZ-USA about the issue and they basically just shrugged it off.  Took months to respond to my first email about it, and when I responded back with my info (twice) they never even got back with me.  Though I tend to not have a manufacturing bias on my products, I've just had and seen a lot of problems with shotguns that weren't US manufactured.

At this point, IF I can get the money for it, I'm truthfully looking hard at either a Remington 11-87 (Remington shotguns have always done well for me), or possibly a Mossberg 930.  I like the fact that the Mossberg doesn't use the rubber o-rings (I don't like the thought of something that flimsy being an integral part of the design), but I gotta admit that I have more faith in Remington in this market sector.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 05:52:24 AM »
Sitting in the rain OOHHH  YEAH. Its down pouring here as well. Snows all gone. 50 degrees. Im gonna try & put a nother doe in the freezer.Ive got one of the umbrellas for a tree stand. Works pretty good as long as the wind aint blowing to hard. If the wind is blowing it can get pretty comical.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 06:04:05 AM »
MGMorden:

I shot an A5 for a while and was relieved to get rid of it because the recoil was so vicious. It seemed to have a recoil magnifier in it. Ergonomics were a bit awkward compared to a modern gun too. Some people swear by them, though.   This was for buckshot primarily-- heavy loads. Some people have told me there was something wrong with it that could be fixed, but it was OK. I have tried other A5s with similar heavy loads and gotten the same jarring recoil.