Author Topic: bullet seating  (Read 900 times)

Offline billd

• Trade Count: (0)
bullet seating
« on: December 27, 2010, 02:41:11 PM »
I tried sighting in a new accura v2  and had pretty good results.   I was wondering when reloding should the bullet seat the same distance after every shot?  I noticed one time the ramrod did not go as far into the barrel.  i shot only three shots between cleaning using 2 50 grn pellets  friend says its because of the fouling.  Im new to muzz loaders and not sure how much pressure to apply. I havent tried loose powder but read it burns alot cleaner. thanks for any replies billd. 

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: bullet seating
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »
what you found was the crud ring.

Certain primers are HOT and when shooting pyrodex, american pioneer, T7, it leaves a crud ring, Its a hard crusty carbon build up.  In order to stay clear of this, you MUST swab the bore in between shots to remove powder fouling.

You MUST mark your ramrod - range rod so you can if the bullet is off the powder charge or not.  Leaving a gap between the powder-bullet can cause either a bulged barrel or worse, a burst barrel.

Offline billd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 05:38:57 PM »
Thanks big block. Would changing powders or primers help any ?  Do you know of any websites besides this one about muzzeloading?

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »
winchester 777 or cci inline MZL primers would help.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 03:00:06 AM »
Thanks big block. Would changing powders or primers help any ?  Do you know of any websites besides this one about muzzeloading?
When I switched over to Blackhorn 209 propellant, my problems went away. You can check here on GBO on the various blackpowder forums to read up on it. It is the real deal as far as I'm concerned. If your rifle is set up to shoot Blackhorn 209, try it out. I don't have a CVA muzzleloader so I don't know if they are set up to use Blackhorn 209.

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »
Thanks big block. Would changing powders or primers help any ?  Do you know of any websites besides this one about muzzeloading?
When I switched over to Blackhorn 209 propellant, my problems went away. You can check here on GBO on the various blackpowder forums to read up on it. It is the real deal as far as I'm concerned. If your rifle is set up to shoot Blackhorn 209, try it out. I don't have a CVA muzzleloader so I don't know if they are set up to use Blackhorn 209.
How should one go about finding out what brands of muzzle loaders are set up for Blackhorn 209?
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »
How should one go about finding out what brands of muzzle loaders are set up for Blackhorn 209?

It would be easier to figure out by just telling us what muzzleloader you are shooting. All the T/C's are good to go out of the box, CVA and Knight sometimes need to be tweaked in the breech plug. The good thing is that they all can be made to shoot Blackhorn 209 relatively easy.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member