Author Topic: I think I'm going with Ramshot instead  (Read 1877 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
I think I'm going with Ramshot instead
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:54:09 PM »
I am presently loading some H4831sc with my newly obtained -06 barrel in my handi. I was then going to go with H4350 but after doing some reading on how temperature insensitive the Ramshot powder line is. Found some info for load work up and I'm going to try the Hunter series from Ramshot. I've always liked the "ball" type powder.

What are your experiences with the Ramshot line?

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: I think I'm going with Ramshot instead
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 12:01:22 AM »
I have used TAC in a 223 and it does very well. I am getting 3800 fps with a 40 grain Hornady V-Max bullet in a Shilen 26" heavy bull barrel. The accuracy is very good. I went on a PD shoot out in OK and used it as my long range gun. The conditions were very windy, so it was mostly luck past 300 yards. So yes, I have had some experience with TAC and liked it well enough, I bought an additional 8 pound keg.

I also have some Big Game I bought for a 7mm-08 I have, but really have not done much with load development yet. I also tried some IMR 4064. I have only done a little load development but out of the two types, I prefer the Big Game so far.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:50:56 AM »
 I like Ramshot powders. I've used TAC,Exterminator, & Bigame, mostly in 204,223, & 22-250. H-4350 for the 30-06 is a tried & true powder too though.
NRA, Veteran

Offline LHitchcox

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 04:08:58 AM »
I have used X-Terminator in .223, Tac in .223, .308 Win, and .30-30AI, and Big Game in .30-06 and 7mm-08. Good experience in all calibers. I like the smooth metering, and it doesn't hurt that RamShot powders are a couple of bucks per can cheaper. Soon I expect to try Magnum in a friends .300 Wby.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 05:02:47 AM »
I tried TAC on the recommendation of a member here.  Seems I was having a tough time cramming anything else into my 358 Win's case.

Deer season was fast approaching so I didn't have a lot of time to experiment but I was VERY impressed with the results of my initial testing in the 358!  So impressed that I tried TAC in my 30-30 which also showed significant improvement in group size.  In fact, TAC produced the best groups for either rifle so far!   ;D

I can't wait to play with it some more!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:55:49 AM »
I have found that Ramshot powders work very well in just about any round that I try them in , that and the fact that its around $3 bucks a pound cheaper than other powders around here is a major plus in my book .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »
Good info, Anyone else have a report?

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:50 PM »
I am using the Hunter in my .270 and the Magnum in several, and have not had any issues with getting good velocity or accuracy from either of them. Like mentioned it meters so well it's hard not to like it.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 01:40:46 AM »
ive had excellent luck with hunter in the 06 and big game in the 308. I use about all of the ramshot line in one load or another and have had excellent luck with it.
blue lives matter

Offline 223Pitbull

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »
I am getting my best accuracy with Ramshot hunter in my 300 WSM.

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 07:12:07 PM »
Back when Hogdgon Powders were unavailable in 2009, I gave up looking for Varget and 4895 and tried TAC. I love it.
Burns clean, easy to measure and very good accuracy. I have no reason to try anything else.
I haven't used slower powders like Hunter or Big Game, but I would definately try them first if I was loading an 06.

Bob A

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 10:40:19 AM »
I loaded 150gr Hornady Interlocks and 58gr of Ramshot Big Game with excellent results in accuracy.  For 165gr bullets, I'm sticking with H-4350 as A) it too gives great accuracy and velocity and B) I have almost 8lbs of it!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
but after doing some reading on how temperature insensitive the Ramshot powder line is.

Where was this reading found? Minnesota minds wanna know.

I've read the ramshot wb site info and they only mention it once in one sentance in the "Hunter" powder section.

Is there more someplace?
found elsewhere