Author Topic: Pan Lube-Sizing etc.??  (Read 565 times)

Offline Propdoc03

• Trade Count: (0)
Pan Lube-Sizing etc.??
« on: December 31, 2003, 05:10:48 AM »
Can I just get some suggestions or opinions on pan lubing and sizing. I have been reading but really am still in the dark. I am on the verge of ordering a mold or two but really dont know what else I need to get started. Does one cast a little big if they are going to be sizing? I am thinking of starting of casting for my 45/70 Pedersoli and using black powder but can not find a 530 Saeco mold. It was mentioned that if I use WW for casting for this then I weill need to use the oven to soften them up a bit along with pan lubing so that I dont work harden them. I am wondering if I might be better off starting with a handgun cartridge? Anything toi help me complete my order or to help come up with other questions I am not thinking of will be of much help!

Thanks PD

Offline richp41

Pan Lube-Sizing etc.??
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 06:00:34 AM »
First it sounds like your experience level might suggest you get the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook and study up before jumping into the casting arena.  Second, most molds drop bullets a little larger than nominal size and only a trial will tell you how big they will be. Last, as a start get a Lee  bullet sizer for the bore size you need -- .001" larger than the rifle bore. Included in the package will be a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox that you can tumble on the bullets or just wipe some on with your fingers. It is excellent lube and no where near as time consuming or as messy as the method you propose. I've been casting for over 40 years and have profitted some from making and shooting a couple thousand of these lead nuisances each year.  Rich P

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Pan Lube-Sizing etc.??
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 06:35:32 AM »
Have you tried contacting Reddding-Saeco for the mold you want? They should be able to provide it or tell you where to get it.

Since you plan to use BP for your BPCR don't follow the advice given above. NEVER use an alox based lube with BP. Bad stuff happens. Pan lubing is an often used method by folks who shoot BPCRs and you might want to drop over by that forum to discuss this also.

Wheel weight lead is a bit harder than most prefer but isn't necessarily bad for the job. If you start with handgun loads and use smokeless powder the advice given above then applies fine.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Don in PA

Pan Lube-Sizing etc.??
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 07:26:59 AM »
PD
For silhoutte and long range BP most guys want as cast bullets that are .001 to .002 over groove size. Most feel that sizing bullets may deform them. Some lube there bullets with a sizer but use a sizing die that is .001 to .002 over the bullet size. WW metal may be to hard for BP but give it a try. There are a number of lubes on the market SPG and
DGL come to mind, BP lube is much softer then smokless lube. If you want to make your own search this sight for "lube". Lube making is one of the most popular subjects in BP shooting. Seaco and Lyman make a few molds for the 45-70. The Lyman BP book is a good start. If your thinking about silhoutte and long range shooting any book by Paul Matthews is good and Steve Garbe's BP Cartridge Rifle Reloading Guide is also good. They should be availabe for Buffalo Arms www.buffaloarms.com
Remember each rifle is a law unto itself.  Good luck

Don

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

Pan Lube-Sizing etc.??
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 07:43:57 AM »
My general rule of thumb is to try the simplest method first.  In other words don't mess around with the oven until you've satisified yourself that you actually need to.

Also, what I've learned is that sizing may or may not be necessary.  For instance, if I just cast a wheel weight bullet and let it air cool, I don't really need to size at all.  They chamber just fine, and the powder has no problem swaging them into the bore.

But, if I drop the wheel-weight bullets from the mold directly into a bucket of cold water, I need to size them.  This is mainly because when I run the cartridge through the Lee Factory Crimp die, the cases sometimes wrinkle.  This is because the die actually re-sizes the case, and the hard bullets pinch the case between the bullet and the die wall.  Since the harder bullets don't "give" the case buckles under the pressure.  Interestingly the wrinkled cases still chambered and fired.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!