Author Topic: Deer hunts  (Read 1238 times)

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Deer hunts
« on: November 09, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »
How are the deer hunts going guys and gals?

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Deer hunts
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
OK here!

I took my first Cast Boolit game critter two weeks ago.  RUGER #1s - 45/70 with a cast LBT/WFN boolit ahead of 55gr of RL #7 for about 2290fps at muzzle.

WOW is that ever a thumper.  An greatly impressed.

Son-in-law took a deer this past Saturday, daughter - zero - oldest son will be here next week for a go around.

I am more of a meat hunter, so with only one tag this year, I was in the "if it's brown it's down" mode.

It was brown, and wack at 100yds it was DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should have started this cast boolit hunting before I became an Ol'Coot!!!!!!!!!!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
excellent

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »
We had a good deer season no unfilled tags.  We actually cut up the last 2 today. 
My wife got a 2x2 mulie, I got a 2x2 whitetail, buddy shot a big 5x5 whiitetail, mom got a 27" 3x3 mulie, and the in laws got a 4x4 whiteatil and 2 spike whitetails.  Between the deer we got and my spike bull I literally can't get anymore meat in my freezer.  Life is good.
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 04:38:38 PM »
Send some down this way. We drew no tags this year :'(

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »
Ya think I could just pack a flat rate box full of burger and steak and send it your way? ;) ;)

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:01:34 PM »
well with a little dry ice---sure ;D

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 05:33:58 AM »
My oldest son was home over Thanksgiving, and picked up a very nice whitetail buck.

WEll, while he is a current resident of Ideeeeeeeeeho, he is working in a number of states and being based out of Az.

Soooooo ---It was cut up the buck ASAP, and get it into the freezer he had in the back of his pickup as he had to be back to work in Az. within a couple of days.

Son-in-law also came up with a respectable buck, so all available tags were filled here.

Sure wish I'd had some more tags to fill with that 355gr LBT/WFN cast boolit out of my 45/70!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure glad I'm too old to live that kind (son's) of life style.

There are some good thing about be'in an Ol'coot, maybe not a lot, but some.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 11:16:13 AM »
Didn't shoot a deer in WY. I passed up a bunch of smaller bucks but didn't see one I wanted to shoot. I shot an antelope. When I got back to WI I shot a couple does during the gun season so we have plenty of meat. Had a good time hunting.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 04:40:58 PM »
All hunting trips are good.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 06:01:30 AM »
 ;) Bigswede, what calibers did you use on those Idaho deer?????
98, I think some where I commented on my early deer hunting here in the west..Much of our deer hunting is over before it opens in other states..got a small 3x2 mulie here with my 25-06...hunted eight days..before I took him..wanted something bigger than a 2 x 2, he made it but barely..next season I think I will concentrate on some different units..but in late Oct. or early Nov. I went to eastern Wy. for a whitetail hunt..was over there last season and saw a really dandy whitetail buck...but he escaped..so decided to try again this season..this country is not typical whitetail cover...it has huge breaks along the rivers and creeks...there were noticely less deer this season than last..but there were some..first thing I filled my turkey tag with a nice gobbler..took him with my old custom .222...I had hunted the evening before, and just decided after taking the turkey, I would probably never see the buck that escaped me last year...as if finished dressing the gobbler and was washing my hands, I looked up on the top of the breaks, and there was my buck...Or his twin...he was just walking the rim, on his way some where...I hurried to the top of the rim in headed the direction he was going...I got to a big draw, and felt he could not have gone farther than this..Just when I was certain he had escaped again, he broke from the shadow in the bottom of the draw, because of the extremely open country, I was carrying my windy day coyote  rifle, a 28.5" custom barreled .300. He was running away, out of my life for good I felt.  So I tried a raking shot as Elmer used to say, it was effective if messy, and a second one finished him for good..He was a perfect 10 point eastern count or a 5 x5 here..I neglected to take any meaurements, but the taxidermist  said he would score about 160...the best whitetail of my life...doubt if I ever take another this good...my interest in trophy hunting is nil...but it was exciting , especially after thinking about him for a whole year!!!!!!

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 06:12:00 AM »
I'm spending my wasted big game time hunting Quail,coyotes and jump shooting ducks on the desert water holes. Not as cool a big stuff,but better than nothing.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 06:32:15 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D 98, after a mth. or more of cold temps. and snow, desert quail sounds like far more fun than deer hunting.....but that is probably ony because deer season is over here....but as I grow older, I am looking a possibly a move to an area with more bird hunting and less big game, but it would still have good deer hunting..I have to have  that...... ;)

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 07:05:36 AM »
Lotsa good big game hunts here, the hard part is getting drawn for the permits

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 01:23:38 AM »
Wyo. Coyote Hunter
Our Idaho deer fell to a variety of cartridges.  My 338-06 AI was what I used, my mom also shot her mulie with it at about 50 yds.  I also got to finish off my father in laws spike whitetail as it came busting out of a patch of second growth timber  with both its front legs broke, not the father in laws best shooting that day.  My wife killed hers with a 7mm-08, there was also a 300wsm, a 300 winnie, and my buddy doesn't pack anything but a 264 winnie.  I've been working on some loads for my 20" 350 magnum, I might take it into the thick stuff for elk next fall.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 06:25:52 AM »
That 350rem should be a good one, almost as good as my 45/70 ;) ;D

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag