Author Topic: powder choice  (Read 548 times)

Offline TommyD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
powder choice
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:38:49 AM »
I have been casting the 160 grain FN Bevel Base .358 bullets from my new mold and I am in the process of load development for my 357 mag GP100.

The load I want will launch these little beauties at 1200 fps. About the same momentum impulse as the standard GI .45 auto. Pleasant and easy to shoot for plinking and target. It should also be quite satisfactory for pest control at my country place. Not a hunting load. For that, will continue to partake in the joy attendant to all things 45.

From the manufacturers data tables this should be easily achievable with either Hodgdon's Universal or Accurate No. 9. Universal will probably give a cleaner burn.

Is there any downside to using Universal vs Accurate No. 9? Will there be any significant long term difference in the wear and tear on the gun due to differing temperature and pressure curves?

I ask this because I recently came across posts from Bob Baker that  Freedom Arms recommends avoiding Lil'Gun Powder in both their .454 and .357 revolvers. it seems that even though the pressure is less with Lil'Gun than H110, the burn temperature is substantially hotter and they are seeing accelerated wear on the forcing cones.

Tom
--------------------------
NRA Life Member

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: powder choice
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:24:24 AM »
I'd pick the Universal. #9 would like more pressure to work properly. Plus you'll use less Universal so you get more shots per can of powder.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: powder choice
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:28:40 AM »
That bullet over some Unique would give you what you want. Unique is in-expensive as far as powders go and a can will last a good while loading 357's.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.