Author Topic: Stock Finishing Questions  (Read 774 times)

Offline Glockfan

• Trade Count: (0)
Stock Finishing Questions
« on: December 29, 2010, 07:48:31 PM »
I did read the FAQ and saw that Tru-Oil is recommended first off. I am just wanting to explore all options before making a decision. Preface : I have a .308 Survivor... I have done EVERYTHING listed on here to break in/prep/accurize, and ensure the rifle is firing as accurately as possible. My grouping is still sub-par. I am positive that the problem is my forend (that much I have determined through shooting with the forend off) So... I looked at buying some new hardware for the gun... and in the classifieds section.. I saw what I wanted for sale : http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,220600.0.html
...then I decided I wanted to try and make it myself. Which I must say I am THOROUGHLY enjoying. I have found that I really like working with wood, but unfortunately I am very new to it. So I am not moving fast.. I want to take my time and do a good job on my first stock. What i am making will hopefully look similar to that link of what was sold. However, I am wanting to use a semi-transparent finish and have a darker color. As for my finish though... what is wrong with just using an exterior finish like:  http://www.olympic.com/stain/Find_Products/semi_maximum.aspx     ? Is there a reason a stain/sealer like this should be avoided? I'm assuming Oil Based is best, but would a water based do the job? Or would it not be as good. Like I said, I want to take the time and do it right.. so this isn't gonna be something I finish anytime soon. I'm enjoying myself too much to rush it anyway. When I am finished with my project I will post pictures of the results and range report, but I thought best to get some of the xperts advice on here before doing anything.

I have the stock cut out and am fine tuning the fit to the receiver right now. Then I hafta fine tune the fitting of the forend. Once I am satisfied with the fit I will start working on the cosmetic wood work. Whether this particular stock turns out good or not... I plan on doing more. I am just really enjoying the process of doing it myself. I'm gonna convince myself that its imperfections will give it character that can't be store bought  :D 

Anyway, some of you stock experts willing to throw a bone to this green wood worker would be much appreciated.

-dcary7

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Stock Finishing Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:01:40 AM »
I have used alcohol based leather die for gunstocks with more satisfaction than the typical water based stock stains; less 'whiskering' to have to deal with and good rich, deep colors. There are high priced gunstock stains available too, but they havent really shown me much. Ater staining to the color I want (sometimes I mix layers of stain, say, Cherry once, then 2 of walnut) I 'bone' a stock rather than lightly sand to compress any whiskering. I like an oil finish better than a 'varnish' type, which True Oil is because of the level of hardeners in it, but that is my preference. T-O is a good finish and easy enough to use, just make sure you ONLY apply a THIN coat and let completely dry before continuing. The biggest mistake most 1st timers make is putting on too thick of coats of the top finish. Pity, all that work and blow it at the end.......
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »
+1 to what GC said!   ;D  I love (re)finishing wood!  Gun stocks or otherwise!  ;D  But do yourself a favor and read up on finishing oils, varnishes, etc.  And don't read the manufacturer's hype!   ::)  For example, a number of, if not most, "Tung Oil" finishes don't contain much if any tung oil!   :o  And don't expect the manufacturer to put the ingrediants on the container!   :D

And have fun experimenting!  Though I haven't used Tru-oil in decades, I was actually going to buy some for it's fast/hard curing properties.  But I would always rub it with steel wool between coats and after the final coat.

Why, I've even tried a synthetic spray on finish!   :o  :-[  It actually looked acceptable (after a rubbing with steel wool), kinda like a factory finish and is more waterproof then many other finishes.

Another good thing about having a number of Handi's.  You can experiment with dies and finishes on each rifle's stock!   ;D  The more Handi's you get, the more oportunity you have to practice!   ;D  I've got 2 Handi stock sets in the mail to me now, one from a member and one from a sponsor here; GunStocksInc.

I move stocks around and refinish them keeping with how I envision the particular rifle the wood is going on.  For example, I'm getting a walnut Monte Carlo w/ Cheekpiece and a target forearm from GSI for my 45-120.  Chances are the wood color, being from seperate blanks, will not exactly match.  So I will have to play with the stain/dye, after some contour modifications that is ;), before I apply the finish.  That finish will be an old fashioned oil finish as I see a fine English Cape rifle every time I look at my 450 Sharps Express.   :D

On the other hand, after this deer season I want to refinish the furniture on my M-94.  In keeping with that rifle's ubiquitous working man's rifle character, the finish will be a much duller factory type, maybe even that synthertic spray again!   :P

And we haven't even talked about preparing the wood for the finish!   :o  But that's another thread...  ::)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 06:16:07 AM »
And I thought, Richard, you were only into shim building.  You and Andy (MSP Ret) ought to move in together ;D

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 06:37:30 AM »
Hey!   :o  Just because I'm artistically inclined doesn't mean I like to play hide the schnitzel!   >:(  I just happen to have abilities far above those of the common man...  8)

You better hope Andy don't read this!   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:51:01 AM »
Hey Richard, I hear ya got a little weather.  Christmas, my hunting buddy from Florida's wife and daughter were flying from West Palm to Dallas.  Atlanta was shut down and they had to go here to Detroit and then down.  It's pretty bad when Michigan has better weather than Jawja.  My sister's on an Island about 30 miles north of Atlantic City and they got 19 inches of snow.  Those townships don't even have a 4 wheeler with a four foot plow to push it around with. ::)  Right now, it's raining here and the little snow we have is leaving quickly.  Great big spots of bare ground.  I gotta run out back and see how my coconuts and pineapples are doing.  Later,

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 06:56:20 AM »
Next time you try Tru-Oil put a coat of ArmorAll on first, let it dry a few minutes, then put on the tru-oil, the time to cure will be reduced to about 1/5th the time.  Then a coat of armorall then tru-oil, you can put on 10 coats a day by doing this.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:08:57 AM »
Larry, which Armorall are you talking about.  My wife has 3 different kinds for her van.  They're all wipes.  Is it the Original spray??

Pete

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »
I use the origional spray, the wipes may work even better if they are same stuff.
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline MSM

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 09:52:05 AM »
  I think I'll give the Armorall a try on a .22 LR project I have going. Trotterlg, I guess you put the Armorall on top of the first dried coat of TrueOil? Just making sure...
  MSM

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »
After it is dry, I started with the armorall then the tru-oil, then armorall, then tru-oil................................Don't know why it works but it does.  Larry

Offline brehenkel

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 07:26:26 AM »
I have used trans tint dyes with luck with highlighting the grains in wood. Can be mixed with water or alcohol. As far as top coats I have been recently using a product called Ceramithane. It is a water based finish that comes in gloss, semi-gloss, or matt finish. Very hard finish, meets the standards to be used on wood basketball floors. Dries very clear and quick, easy clean up, can be brushed on I think but I usually spray it on.

Happy New Years

Brian.

Offline Glockfan

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 04:21:41 AM »
Thank you for the replies. Does anyone have any experience with one of these recoil pads?

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/dual-action-all-purpose.php

I successfully got my stock fit to the receiver last night, and the gun stock is starting to take shape.. but is far from completed.