Author Topic: .500 s&w Questions  (Read 1981 times)

Offline nframe

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: .500 s&w Questions
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 03:58:58 PM »
One more thing (in my mind) that is plus for the 500 is a straight wall case, meaning carbide dies and no case lubing.  This generally increases the amount of shooting I will do with any caliber.  It ain't got to be super accurate unless your hunting little stuff. 2" is plenty good or even 3" for my purposes.

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 11:30:36 PM »
Elhoward622,

IMHO you are right on about using a lighter bullet in the 500 S&W for less recoil. In my Handi I have been using the Federal factory load using the 275 gr Barnes XPB. According to the specs when I bought the ammo, the stated MV is 1,667 fps.  Recoil is to me very slight and with this ammo my Handi is scary accurate at 100 yards. I've only taken a couple of deer with it but neither travelled far with the farthest shot being about 80 yards. It does put a big hole on whatever target you're shooting at. I may start to reload for it.

Good luck.

Offline colberjs

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
The Handi that I bought off a friend has a .500 sw barrel with it. He included a partial box of Hornady 350 gr. ammo with it but I have only shot it once at a tree just to experience the recoil. With the $50/box pricetag on the ammo I am waiting until I get a reloading setup before doing much shooting with it. I do treasure the idea of getting to shoot it though. It is a very intimidating looking gun!!

Any ideas on what type of scope I should get for it?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 04:11:07 PM »
A reloading set-up doesnt need to be any fancier than something to pop out the fired primer (like a universal decapping die or a larger cal. die you may have) and something to recap with. Use the fire-formed cases as is, recharge with a decent lighter load and a cast lead bullet that fits in the case mouth with just a little secure tension.
That is pretty much the way the old timers did it with the 'big 50' on the plains (ah, the good old days). Id of had that shooting reloads in short order and on the cheap.
Scope? Its got sights on it, right? Spend that money on makin' reloads. Load and shoot!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline yardmaster

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 06:22:25 AM »
I am going to use the lee modern mini mold and trail boss for powder in my .500 S&W..hope to have a good combo, will report back later

Offline colberjs

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »
Shot my .500 today and here are the results. This is a 2-shot group with open sights from 100 yds. I just had to guess when aiming because the fiber-optic bead covered nearly the whole page. ;D