Author Topic: Muzzle scratches on Ruger GP100  (Read 1047 times)

Offline navydoc3

• Trade Count: (0)
Muzzle scratches on Ruger GP100
« on: December 05, 2010, 02:33:23 PM »
I just bought a new GP141. I found a few scratches on the muzzle. I'm planning on using a small block of wood and 320 grit sandpaper to smooth these out. After purchasing this piece I noticed another GP100 with similar scratches. I don't want to send it back to Ruger for this minor cosmetic fix. Does anyone have other suggestions for removing the scratches?

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
Re: Muzzle scratches on Ruger GP100
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »
I've had two and didn't have any marks like you described. If it shoots ok and you can live with the blemish it's fine. Great purchase I love my GP100. I have two sets of the holder rubber grips w/inserts and my gun now wears the new over mold grip. Tough as a tank. Best 357 made!

Offline navydoc3

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I'm going ahead with the cosmetic fix. Other than that I'm totally satisfied. The GP is a great buy and seems very stout in my hand.

Offline Glock Doctor

• Glock Magic!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 04:13:59 AM »
Suggest you use fine emery paper that's wetted down with a light gun oil.  Finish polish with a Dremel Tool set at low speed.  (That's what I did to mine; and it came out very well matched to the rest of the gun.) 
‘Life Is Karma.  It Reflects Both Past And Present Circumstance.  Our Time Here Is Short; So Choose Carefully And Behave Well; For, All Of Your Tomorrows Are Presently Being Decided.’

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:09:58 AM »
I use a scotchbrite pad, doesn't remove anything. You have to rub in the same direction each time or it looks like a bunch of small scratches. Using any fine sandpaper will remove material and may polish the spot and make it appear different than the rest of the pistol. I clean the carbon buildl up on stainless revolver cylinders with it all the time. the muzzle just hold it down on the pad and twist back an forth