Author Topic: lee lube sizing kits  (Read 987 times)

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
lee lube sizing kits
« on: January 03, 2011, 01:36:17 AM »
i wont to start casting my own bullets 44mag to start with for my contender i would like to keep cost down but i dont wont to buy things twice do i need the  lymam 450 sizer will the Lee sizing kits do the same thing ?
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: lee lube sizing kits
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 02:16:46 AM »
With the Lee it only sizes the bullet. Several of the Lee bullets are Tumble Lube which in many cases do not need sizing,. I have had problems in the past with Lee non tumble lube molds in Rifle Bullets, in my 450, the lube rings were smaller on the Lee than on the Lyman or RCBS molds, and a sized bullet would not hold much lube from the 450. A lot has to do with your alloy mix . and how much you need to size the bullet,  Even if going with the Lee tumble lube Bullets, I would recommend the Lyman cast Bullet Book. Good information as well as load data.

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 02:34:38 AM »
how do you tumble lub are the TLB good for hunting
and drive a F150

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 04:55:01 AM »
Tumble lubing bullets is a simple process of coating the entire bullet with a coat or two light coats of Lee Alox liquid bullet lube. Although it's generally used with the Lee TL style bullets it will also work on bullets with the traditional wider grease grooves,I use it on both in pistol and rifle bullets.

To tumble lube all you need is one container about the size of a cool whip bowl,place 50 to 100 bullets in the bowl depending on there size and apply a Z shaped stream of lube over the bullets that's about all you need.  Then swirl the bullet back and forth in both directions in the bowl and gently roll them over several time till there evenly coated,then dump them out on wax paper to dry overnight.  The next day repeat the process let them dry and your ready to load.

The Lee Alox can be a bit thick and tends to thicken up over time adding 1 oz. of mineral spirits to the new 4 oz. bottle of Alox and mix it well will thin it nicely,also if you place the bottle of Alox in some hot tap water for about 15 min. before use it will make applying it much easier.

Some casters add other additives to there Alox lube to improve it's tackiness and drying time as well as adding to the lubricating properties.  I use this mix and method it's also a good tutorial on the TL process.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

TL bullets work just a well for hunting purposes as the traditional grease groove bullets do I shoot tumble lube design bullets up close to 2000 fps. with excellent accuracy and no leading in several caliber rifles in bolt,pump and semi-auto actions as well as several of my handguns or course MV is lower.  However you don't need to push cast bullets that fast to make an affective hunting bullet the Meplat/nose of the bullet and good shot placement will take game,you need to find the accuracy sweet spot your gun/load likes and let the bullet do the rest.

As far as sizing goes well that depend on the particular gun bore dia. and the bullets dia. your mold cast,in general the Lee TL designs don't need sizing,I've found this to be pretty much the case in the calibers I use them in,I do size one TL 158 gr. SWC bullet I cast because it seems to shot more accurately in one 357 Mag. revolver I have that has a smaller bore dia. however in the other revolves I shoot it as cast.

I also use the Lee sizers on some bullet that use gas checks I only want to apply the GC and not affect the bullets dia. such is the case with my Lee .312 TL bullet I use in my SKS and 54r the bullet drops at .313.5 on the driving ban which work great in those rifle that have a groove dia. of .312 so I use the Lee .314 sizer to apply the gas check and not affect the bullets dia.

On my 30-30 and 300 Sav. cast bullets I use the Lee 150 and 170 gr. flat nose bullets,they both drop from the mold at around .310 and are designed for a gas check and have traditional grease grooves for plinking or small game loads where my MV is only around 1200+ fps. I just give them two light coats of Lee Alox/JPW mix and shoot them as cast with no GC applied.  For loads that I'm going to push the MV up higher I use a Lee .309 sizer to apply the GC to the bullets it also sizes the bullet dia. down about .001" but that's fine since both rifle have no issues shooting the GC 309 dia. bullets.

I always TL my bullets twice GC or not,on the GC bullets I TL first then apply the GC with the push through sizer and TL once more before loading.  Sorry for the long post on the short question.

Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:11:58 AM »
thank you jim
and drive a F150