Author Topic: New Member - New Handi - Awesome Groups  (Read 644 times)

Offline UncleJesse

• Trade Count: (0)
New Member - New Handi - Awesome Groups
« on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
I think this is my first post. Just before Christmas I ended up picking up two Handi's. First two I've ever owned. I got one in 243 and another in 204. The first time to the range I shot both but only put about 5 rounds through the 243 so it's waiting for it's turn.

But I have been working with the 204 and after some vertical stringing taken care of by an o-ring I've found myself a load and a shooter.
29 grains of Varget with a 32 grain sbk seated to normal overall length. I was messin' with the scope during the groups so that's why the groups moved all over the paper. Average of the 5 groups was under 0.75 MOA

Thanks for all the great advice on handi's from GBO. Looking forward to sharing results with the 243.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: New Member - New Handi - Awesome Groups
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »
UncleJ,

Nice shootin'!  Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your progress.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »
UncleJesse,
WELCOME!!
Great shooting and loading. Must be a lot of scared critters around your place about now.
Don

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
Welcome to Graybeards

Congrats on the new rifles. And congrats on at least one of the new rifles being a shooter.

Lonny

Offline UncleJesse

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 06:14:08 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Hope I have as good'a success with the 243 although I'm not as concerned as it's real life will be first rifle for my kids. I really like the fact that a handi doesn't force a shooter into being a hand they might not be. I have 4 kids so it'll get used quite a bit if it's remotely a shooter. If not, I have no religious ideals about moving a rifle on that ain't a shooter from the get-go. BTDT too many times.

I've got other questions about making it work for kids but I'll create a new thread for that.

J

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 07:19:04 PM »
You happened to pick two of the most maligned Handi calibers. But thanks to your skill, you will probably ace the 243 as well.

Good luck.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 04:42:31 AM »
WELCOME!!

Good shooting, its very confidence inspiring when you get a shooter like you have!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dpastordan

• Avid Poster
  • Shooting firearms since 1962
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 05:14:08 AM »
 ;D Welcome to the forum and to the "Handi" life!  They can be addicting.  I have one platform - started with a .45/70 which is super accurate, then added other barrels (.223, .243, .30-30).  The .243 does take a bit of work to accurize.  I am considering adding a couple more barrels - .30-06 and .410 shotgun.