Author Topic: New Handi-rifle owner  (Read 1030 times)

Offline bigbird09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
New Handi-rifle owner
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »
Hello all,

New to the forum and the handi.  I have actually been wanting to pick one up for a long time, and have been trying to get a ultra-slug hunter in 12ga for deer hunting here in Illinois.  So the other day I decided that since I have been wanting to get into hunting yotes more, and  been wanting to step up a rifle bigger that .22lr I decided to trade my Rem. Model 597 .22 for a handi chambered in .223 for some yote shooting.  Now that I have done it I wish I would have picked up a 22-250 instead, but the local shop only had a .223 in stock.  I was looking through the barrel accesory program pamphlet and think thought about getting the 12ga slug barrel, but after some reading think I will go with the 20ga ultra slug barrel,  also think I may pick up a 22-250 or sometime else, not really sure yet.

Two questions that I do have for you guys is can you get a barrel for the sb2 chamberd for .22lr?  I seen them for the sporters but didn't know if they could be fitted to the sb2 reciever,  seeing as how I sold my .22 and I have about 300 rnds of .22lr left to shoot:).  Also what are some ways to improve accuracy on these little shooters.  I currently have a 3x9-40mm bushnell scope mounted on it that I had on a smokepole that I didn't really like all that well, but will have to do until I can get some more money.  I really haven't got it sighted in the greatest yet to find out my best accuracy and I know right now 98% of it is gonna be me,  I have a lot to learn still.

ok enough rambling hope to make some new friend here and learn a lot as my shooting experience is very limited atm.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
Re: New Handi-rifle owner
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »
Welcome to the sight bigbird, cant help you with the 223 but I think the 22 lr on a sb-2 is a no-go, not realy shure but it seems like I read it some where.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »
Welcome to the board!  This is the greatest place I have found for handi info!

I believe the .22 on a SB2 won't work because of the placement of the firing pin. 

If you read through the stickies at the top of this forum you'll find enough info to keep you busy tinkering on that .223 until you are shooting one hole groups!  ;D

I will warn you, these rifles are very addictive!  I was wanting a second one before I had even shot the first one!
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »
addiction is never a good thing, lol,   and being a new gun and hobby I will jump in feet first as I normally do,  its nice to learn as much as I can at first as well, but I like to experiment and do whatever I can with my hands.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:39:59 PM »
The only rimfire barrel that will function on an H&R centerfire frame is the discontinued Versa Pack 22Lr barrel, it has an offset bore to allow an SB1 or SB2 frame to work with it, the Versa Pack came with a .410 shotgun barrel on an SB1 frame, the barrels show up in the classifieds occasionally. There was some 3-barrel combos made a few years ago, centerfire rifle(243, ect), rimfire barrel(17hmr or 22Lr) and a shotgun barrel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 04:50:46 AM »
Don sell the .223 short!!!!  I sold off a 22-250 years ago and have never missed it!!!  My 223,s shoot just as well, kill just as efficiently and are cheaper to shoot.

The only thing it would do is give you a bit more range. Not needed for the vast majority of shooters out there. Even ones that "think" they need it don't really.
I have made chuck shots with my 10" contender HORNET at almost 200 yards! Sure it won't blow em up at that distance and truth be told I didn't even know I hit him till I walked up onhim. He was a real chub, just sat there all piled up on himself with a hole under his chin. My point is lesser calibers for varmints still have what's needed to harvest critters.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:38:07 AM »
+1 on CW. My son and I get a longest chuck shot going every year with 223s so far 326 yrds is the longest. Plus ammo is cheap and you can find it everywhere.
PS welcome to GBO!
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 05:48:54 AM »
thanks for the warm welcome guys,

I have another question, and that is what kind of accuracy can you expect outa one of these rilfes, especially once you get a couple other barrels and start changing them on a reciever.  I'm not really expecting a sub-moa gun, if I wanted that I would pick a a bolt gun,  but I don't want to expect to see 4in+ 100yrd groups either.  atm I'm just gonna be shooting factory loads, I've been shooting remington UMC 55grn MC for the price, until I get the dies and such and decide to try to start handloading(have a lot to learn about it first tho)

Levi

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 06:43:32 AM »
  Most of the .223's here shooting easy under 2".  If can not, you may just need to fine tune it. Lots of accuracy tips in the FAQ. Lots of folks doing under an inch.  ;)

Lonny

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »
I have a stainless 223 with a BSA cats eye 3.5X10X44 on it and just yesterday with some gusty winds shot a 1" 3 shot group at 100 yards with winchester white box 55gr FMJ.
                                                              410ga

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 02:58:22 AM »
cool   i really need to find some of that winchester white box ammo   i hear lots of good about it but i dont have it near me   hopefully i can find it at gander mtn

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 03:35:01 AM »
My .223 is a new 1 in 9 twist with the new synthetic checkered stock.  It jumped out of the box and shot sub MOA with cheap 55 gr. Russian ammo.  I think I'm going to do the same as CW and sell my .22-250.  I really don't need it, and I can turn the bucks into a .444 or a .500.  If I get a little sneaky, I can probably do both.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:55:44 AM »
same as mine   im gonna try to shoot the tulammo i have today sometime  have a bunch if crap to do first though    also something i wanna ask is  when you guys are shooting  what kind of rest or bag are you shooting off of if any   

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 04:38:40 AM »
As always this is outlined in the FAQs. But good shooting with a handi (bench or otherwise) requires a properly fit forend, a clean dry latch and or resting under the "hinge" be that by hand or bag. Now if your forend is done properly  no realistic amount of  pressure will shift impact. But to be safe I just rest under hinge.
 I  fit my Forends as outlined in FAQs AND rest the hinge on a bag sitting on a good solid bench. Pull trigger fully and completely to the rear.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 05:36:21 AM »
same as mine   im gonna try to shoot the tulammo i have today sometime  have a bunch if crap to do first though    also something i wanna ask is  when you guys are shooting  what kind of rest or bag are you shooting off of if any   

My bag is plain old caldwell
                                                              410ga

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 06:23:39 AM »
223  is a great choice

giving up your 22lr was a bad choice

forget the 22-250.....take the money you would have spent on the barrel  AND AMMO

and get a comlpete  22lr  RIFLE

every one  HAS to have a 22lr....or  he just ain't right
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline dks7895

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 06:31:41 AM »
I completely agree with 45-70.

The .22-250 has a little more reach/energy, but it's not worth the cost.  I love my .223 for most everything.  If I need more @$$ than the .223 can offer, I get out the .308.

Everyone should have at least one .22LR.  The Remington 597 is not my favorite auto loader... so no hurt feelings there.  Try and pick up a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 when you can.  Cheap to shoot and loads of fun.
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 07:35:41 AM »
The older simple bolt action .22s turn up pretty regular at the big box stores, and elsewhere; they used to be about $75, now generally $125ish, but they are often great shooters and will burn up that ammo fine. Some are odd-ball names, but were made by major US manufacturers under contract; ie, Savage/Stevens, Marlin, Mossberg. Every one Ive had and have are good shooters.
You can also get a chamber insert .223 to .22LR or to .22Mag, someone here has done so and may respond to you on accuracy to be expected, cost, where to buy, etc. The downside is that your scope setting will not work. If you use QD rings you could have swap scopes, but you still need to re-zero after a swap (it is more shooting) and some hold the -0- really well.
Cost of insert and scope to do swaps vs buying a cheaper old bolt .22 that is ready when you are?
Only you can answer that.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »
ya i figured out how bad oil on the lacth kills ya the other day.   Saddly i still didnt get to shoot today.   Also have to say that im kinda disapointed in gander mtn  we went there today and idk if its cause its aftee CHRISTmas and tax time for them but they dont have crap there for either guns or ammo.  So either im really limited or im gonna have to get use to ordering ammo online until i can start reloading.   i didnt relize how much i would miss my .22 lol  i may make a trip to the gun shop in the morning and see what they have as far as .22.    how many of you have bought guns from like gunbroker and whats your experince with them as far as getting firearms

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »
I believe one of the amendments to the constitution requires all males over the age of 3 to own at least one 22 rimfire......and by age 15 at least two Handi rifles.......but you could check with legal council if you're in doubt...... :D

Welcome by the way, to the forum and the .223 Handi.  Excellent rifle. Watch the classified's and you might luck up on a versa barrel.  I have a LOT of 22's, and the Versa is what I grab to hunt with.

As for accuracy on the 223, try not to fire all the bullets in the same hole...it embarrases people nearby with high dollar rifles....
 ;D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »
You poor innocent lad, you have no idea what you are in for if you hang around this forum.

A newcomer to the sport like you, I started centerfire and reloading in late 2008 with my sons. Sure enough, with enablers like Tim and Pete (and the rest of you know who you are), we were led down the garden path straight into Handiholicism. Once you step over that line, there is no going back. I had to sell my Hornet and reloading gear months back, but I still hang out here everyday since as I am building up my reloading gear and will buy another Handi again soon.

Good luck, see at the HA weekly meetings.

Brian