Author Topic: What scope for 35?  (Read 605 times)

Offline PWalker

• Trade Count: (1)
What scope for 35?
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:57:29 PM »
I have a Handi in 35 Whel.I put a Simmons scope on it because I had it in the safe.Well,I guess I had it coming but the scope no longer functions.I guess the recoil was too much.What scope do yall recommend for the gun?I have about $250 in Bass Pro gift cards from Christmas.The Nikon pro Staff looks like a good scope but no experience with it.Suggetions would be appreceiated.

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
Re: What scope for 35?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:05:24 PM »
I put a Nikon prostaff on my 35.  Love it.  Nice and cleat, good eye relief, and it has stood up well to about 100 rounds so far.  They haven't been powder puff loads either.  Swift also makes a good scope that handles recoil well, I have several of those on some big boomers.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »
Many guys here have and like that Nikon.

I have always been a Leupold guy. They have never let me down. But, on their suggestion I bought a Nikon 2x7 Pro Staff. Its OK, optically worked as it should, but never really impressed me. I have since bought a new Redfield 2x7 and its a nice scope too.

My first choice is Leupold, I like the 2x7x33 VXII. Give them a look see, I think you will like them too.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
I have a Bushnell 3200 in 3X9 works just fine and real clear.   Has held up to the recoil of the .35 Whelen without any problems. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline PWalker

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:48:20 AM »
I ended up purchasing a new Redfield 4x12x40.It had really good reviews and the price is right.The association with Leupold is definitely a plus also.Its mounted and bore sighted.Weather permitting I should be able to shoot it this week.

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:31:51 AM »
i have a nikon prostaff 2-7 on my browning bps 10 gauge for turkey hunting for the last 4 years and have put over 100 rounds downrange and never had a problem with it, so if can handle a 10 ga then it should handle 35 rem with no problem,
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »
if I had to go pick one, I would go with a redfield revolution in 3x9 or the best leupold I could find for the cash in hand.
if youre not in a hurry wait till season is over and start looking at end of season discounts.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
if I had to go pick one, I would go with a redfield revolution in 3x9 or the best Leupold I could find for the cash in hand.  the forever warranty is a big plus for these.
if youre not in a hurry wait till season is over and start looking at end of season discounts.

I tend to buy quality instead of gadgets is scopes, to me that means leupold
there are 2x7 vx2 scopes on several of mine.
 I know 99.9% of my shots are going to be less than 300 yards, thats point blank holding on hair for darn near every cartridge based on 06 or 308  cases.
  how much scope do you need at that range?just enough to line the crosshairs on the shoulder ;D

nothing against Nikon, just prefer  leupold these days, used to like weavers till they died as a company, redfields too.

just checked basspros site, ouch :o vx2's are 300 bucks nowdays. Ive bought several from 199 to 225  altho it has obviously been  a while. so, how bout those nikons ::)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »
The Nikon Prostaff is the perfect Handi Rifle scope.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (92)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:51 PM »
I had one Prostaff in my life I just didnt like it at all.
A Nikon Monarch is a way better scope.
I have a challange I have a 2x7 Monarch and a VXII 2x7 I cant decide which one to use on a particular rifle

Bottom line they are really close

I tend to really like the Nikons but make no mistake a Leupold is an investment and if things continue the way they are your kids can return you Leupold for a check up or service. If you every go to sell it NO Question the Leupold will sell faster for more.

Even thought I like them both I see more value with Leupolds
Hank
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King

Say what you want, pick on him. but Ringo is still a Beatle