Author Topic: new to forum, interested in purchasing a ultra varmint fluted  (Read 558 times)

Offline dirtfarmer

• Trade Count: (0)
new to forum, interested in purchasing a ultra varmint fluted
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:34:02 AM »
I am seriously considering buying a ultra varmint fluted in 22-250, this gun interests me. but have read some horror stories about not being able to sight them in very well. I want to be able to use this gun for shooting coyotes and aother varmin around the farm and some target shooting at 250 to 400 yards without a lot a hassle. any info on this would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: new to forum, interested in purchasing a ultra varmint fluted
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:22:43 AM »
Welcome! I've only shot two loads in mine, 45gr Remington UMC and 50gr Nosler BT handloads, the factory ammo didn't shoot well at all, but using Hodgdon data for H4985 50gr Sierra loads with the Noslers shoot under and inch at 100yds from a bipod after floating the barrel from the stud forward. Read the Handi Basics 101 and the FAQ and Help stickys, everything you need to know to get your H&R running fine can be found there.  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dirtfarmer

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:43:34 AM »
thanks. I haven't really tweaked guns much other than mounting and bore sighting scopes not really sure how to float or bed barrels. haven't done any reloading though would like to get into it. for factory loads I like horandy ammo for my 7600 rem. and .35 rem marlin 336c.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 07:49:09 AM »
There's no time like the present to start reloading considering the cost of factory ammo if you like to shoot a lot, I spent most of my life using factory ammo, didn't get into reloading until a few years ago, wish I started long ago. Pete(petemi) just started reloading and he's older than dir....er.....I am!!! ;D As for tweaking Handis, probably 90% of the Handi owners here never did before either, but with the FAQs info, even a caveman can do it!!  :D

Tim

Offline dirtfarmer

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
Tim, is the stock comfortable or ackward to hold or shoot. haven't heard to much about this only on person i read on another forum said it was uncomfortable to handle. any insight? thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »
I've only shot mine from the bench and it works great for that, but there's another member here that likes it so much, he has it on several H&Rs he owns including his 35 Whelen and 45-70!  ;)

Tim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 05:51:42 AM »
A well tuned and good shooting Ultra varmint in 22-250 is a good choice for what you want.

If your the kind of guy who can change his oil in his cars and fixed things around the house and yard you will be fine tuning up handis. Its not hard its is just uncharted waters. Go grab a coffee and do some surfing around here. MUCH to read here. LOTS of great guys willing and able to lend a hand with good advice and personal experiences to help you. The FAQ's are chocked full of great and useful information easily searched right at your finger tips.

Basically, start with thorough cleaning of the barrel. Then remove the factory base, degrease the holes and screws. Apply thread locker on the screws and re install the base. Choose a good ring and a new quality or known good scope. Remove the forend and barrel. Clean the shelf of the barrel and with a Qtip and solvent clean the under side of the latch. Re install the barrel. Get a O Ring or two and put it in the stud for the forend, install the forend. You should now have clearance between the barrel and the wood of the forend.

At the range, choose a good solid bench and a couple sand bags. Place the bags under the "hinge" of the receiver. Load the gun, and close it with a solid snap. Done be ginger with it, stoutly close it. This is especially important when new as many parts need to be "worked in". When firing, pull the trigger fully and completely to the rear. Don't worry about groups until you get a couple boxes threw the barrel.

Much has been written here about barrel break in. Most think its not necessary, yet many of these same say polishing the barrel is useful. Proper break in will take care of the polishing. Just don't be concerned about groups until you shoot it some. Polishing is just a bit faster, but IMHO not as good as done incorrectly, you can ruin a barrel. not really form the polishing, but from the cleaning rod. Believe me when I tell you more good barrels are ruined by cleaning rods then most any other single item. Cleaning the barrels is also a hot topic. I like them clean, but do admit most barrels shoot better after a number of fouling shots. In my mind that's not a dirty barrel, its a fouled barrel. It will be cleaned after every range session.

Hand loading is a great hobby. its a way to really squeak out every last be of available accuracy from about any firearm. Many knowledgeable guys here for that as well. My advice...READ READ READ, then ask your questions. There is NO, STUPID questions.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.