Author Topic: My 1st ar10  (Read 670 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
My 1st ar10
« on: December 26, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »
Well i got a unespected present of a envelope of money that was left to me by a relative that passed away a couple years ago. so I bought my self a dpms oracle in 308. I can't wait to get to the range with it and see how it shoots. I'll post a range report when I can.

Offline Doe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: My 1st ar10
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »
Looks good can't waite to see the report!  What twist does it have and is it a 16"  ;D.  Now you're goneing to want to accessorize  ;D.  Quad rail...Buis sights etc...etc...

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:30:40 AM »
I don't plan to accessorize to much, I plan on getting a ergo grip (I have one on my m&p15) a tactical charging handle latch, a fsc 30 comp and maybe down the road a free floated front end.  Yes it is a 16" barrel and the twist is 1-10 also I do want to get soem flip up sights. I have a troy on my M&P 15 I'm going to see if it'll fit under the scope if it does hopefully I can get up the cash for them. I've also looked at the magpul mbus sights (I beleive that's what they are called) the only thing that turns me away from them is they are plastic.

Offline Doe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 05:17:01 AM »
MidWest makes good flip up sight too all metal just make sure that your gasblock is the same hight as your upper rail cause mine isn't had to take my front sight off now it just sitting the box :(.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:36:17 AM »
if it shoots like mine you will be very happy. About anything i put into it goes an inch or less at a 100 yards
blue lives matter

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 06:39:32 AM »
Well I got out to the range today, and I'm impressed.  The best group with 165's (5 shot) was just shy of .400 center to center. I will say this If your going to reload for it use small base dies. I have a bunch of reloads done off from older large base dies and they won't feed reliably at all but the ones I have loaded off from small base dies runs like a champ. All in all I didn't have any groups that measured over 1.25". Needless to say I'm quite happy with the gun though the trigger is a bit heavy but that can be remided pretty easily. Now I just need next years deer season to hurry up and get here.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 02:35:21 AM »
mine about requires the use of small based dies too. Anymore i dont even load any ammo for an ar without using small based dies. An ar is a gun you want to never choke and small based dies are good insurance that they dont and i see absoultely no downside to using them.
blue lives matter

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 04:21:57 PM »
I had the same issues with feeding in my AP4.  I found out a couple of things.  First, I ended up picking up some Magpul Pmags.  Right away, the bulk ammo I was shooting fed 100%.  I tried the supplied DPMS mags, and again, issues with feeding.  When I tried reloads, I had a few issues.  I found I really needed to "cam over" the press when sizing the cases.  That really helped, but the thing that did the trick was polishing the chamber.  I took a brass .410 bore brush attached to a cleaning rod and wrapped portions of  blue shop towels (the more expensive ones you can pick up at wally world in the automotive section) around to the bore brush.  Next, I applied a small amount of Flitz polishing compound and slowly polished the chamber to a glass like finish using my cordless drill.  It is amazing how much nicer the shells extract.

Also, about modifying your gun.  I purchased the AP4 from Lucas Tactical with a few upgrades.  I had the DPMS carbon fiber added to save some weight and free float it.  I added a Hogue grip (my favorite so far) and I added a Badger Tac Latch.  I later replaced that with the BCM Gunfighter charging handle (huge upgrade, highly recommended!).  I have a Magpul CTR stock which I really like.  I later swapped out the front sight base for a YHM flip-up front sight.  I did this when I had ADCO turn down the barrel under the handguard.  The handling is night and day difference.  Also highly recommended!

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 02:17:44 AM »
I will definetly look into polishing the bore it does look like it could use some. but it'll be little to a time. Thanks for the bit of info.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 08:15:57 AM »
Ok I think I have my rifle the way I want, the only thing I have left o get is flip up sights, Doe I plan on going with the midwest sights and you have to specify either same plain or gas block heights. So here is a up dated photo. What I've done is I added a Magpul MOE stock and I tell you it is very tight fitting with very little wiggle. I had a set of UTG picatinni foregrips given to me and they needed .035 milled off the back and some clearance milled so the gas tube wasn't being sprung. AR10 Ergo grip (highly reccomend) and finally a PWI fsc30 compensator. I did a little bit of stoning on the sears they had a bit of a bur. I also put in a Reduced spring kit I had laying around. It didn't really reduce the trigger pull but it did make it a bit smoother. The fsc30 is great it tames the ar10 down to seem like your shooting anormal ar15 in 223. I definetly recomend the FSC comps they work great. So here's a pic.

Offline Redbear

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »
Nice! I use standard dies for my AP4 and never had a problem feeding. DPMS had some bad mags but I thought they fixed that. All mine have worked good. Thing I found with mine is that it hates crimped ammo. I don't know why but even a very light crimp is noticeable in hurting accuracy. Otherwise it's an easy sub MOA. I put on a Ergo grip, gave it a better trigger, and the snap on Limbsaver. Didn't kick how it was but the Limsaver makes it a breeze to stay on target and all that much more fun.