Author Topic: reamers  (Read 534 times)

Offline twhrider2

• Trade Count: (1)
reamers
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:14:32 AM »
I know several members here have done quite a bit of rechambering in your H&R's and was wondering if you have had pretty good luck with rented reamers as far as getting good chamber dimensions go (tight/sloppy,necks,throats etc.). This will be my first venture into rechambering (17 ack. hornet) and am a little nervous about how it will turn out. We discussed (smith & I)whether to go with a "spec" reamer or just rent and see how it turns out.We decided to rent. Thanks for your input.
                                                                                                                                                                       Ken

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: reamers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:11:18 PM »
Just rent one and it will be fine.  You can also buy a new one, use it to rechamber your barrel and sell it on ebay for near as much as you paid for it new.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Tommie D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:46:15 PM »
At least you can rent one.
I'm thinking about a LOW velocity round like the .17 Bumble Bee. No one rents the reamer and headspace gages for this round so It looks like I will have to fork the $$$ over or go with a second choice like the .17 Squirrel.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »
If you have any abilities at all it is dead easy to make a reamer, I have made up a bunch, 223 Short, 17 AH, 20-06, 20-30 and a couple of other wildcats.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »
This is a picture of one of them finished.  Larry

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »
 Larry, is it a 2 flute reamer ? 26-t

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 05:57:19 PM »
It is called a "D" reamer and they cut excellent chambers.  Larry

Offline twhrider2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »
Thanks Larry for the encouragement. Looking forward to the new cal.as I think it will be a lot of fun. Now shopping for the best prices on dies (ouch!)