Author Topic: 45 Colt, large throat question  (Read 1064 times)

Offline redleg155

• Trade Count: (1)
45 Colt, large throat question
« on: January 09, 2012, 10:20:28 AM »
Greetings,

I am in the process of final details on my next project.  I have located the starting gun; a late pinned barrel S&W 25-5.  Like many of these, this one has throats that measure .4540" - I guess these are "medium - large" and not the super biggie size sometimes seen.

I have not measured the bore diameter since the basis of the project will be rebarreling with a rebored 3.5" barrel from a model 27. 

Question:  Since I have the option, what would be the ideal bore diamter given the oversized throats?  I'm thinking instead of the normal .451" bore, a .4535" bore would be perfect? 

I know the return on custom guns and projects like this is less than favorable - but the 45 Colt was never offered in this configuration and I want one this way. 

The gun will be a packer mostly and its intended payload will be a bullet weight of 280 to 300 grains at around 950 fps.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I look forward to the responses.

redleg

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: 45 Colt, large throat question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by wanting a gun "this way".  If you mean with a 3.5 inch barrel, I would consider shortening the one you have if it is right for the throats.   

My suggestion is to measure the barrel as is and if it's something over 452 and not larger than cylinder throats, run with it, probably after lapping, if accuracy is a concern with you.  If precision accuracy isn't a concern, but the guns use will be close range only, lapping wouldn't be necessary.

If you mead that you want a special barrel installed, you don't need be concerned about a 452 barrel, or even a 451 barrel,  sizing your bullets down too much for a close range gun.  That's only .003  for the gun to size, which is minimal.  Many commercial cherry cut molds run much more than that oversize, often up to .006, and customers have been content with their performance for years.  If you start with an LBT mold, which will produce better balanced bullets than any cherry cut mold, you won't have any accuracy problems.  Nor will you find a measurable increase in pressure with oversized bullets.

Since you are going for a custom gun, I strongly suggest that you have the cylinder gap set at .002 close as the smith can hold, and cut the forcing cone small and short.  Most revolvers today have huge force cones which are detrimental to accuracy.  Also, if the cylinder gap gets large the noise heard by the shooter is deafening, espcially if the gap is over .004.  (I have measured many at .010!, which gives a report like a bomb, even with a 22 lr chambering.)
Veral Smith

Offline redleg155

Re: 45 Colt, large throat question
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
Thank you.  Your continued sharing of your experience has given me great insight.  In this case, you've put much of this project in proper perspective. 

Very best regards and God Bless - redleg