Author Topic: The 243... hmmm  (Read 731 times)

Offline UncleJesse

• Trade Count: (0)
The 243... hmmm
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:12:19 AM »
I may as well post my continued work with my two new handi's. Yesterday it was the 204 with great groups. Today I was at the range and took the 243. I only had a box of 100 grain powerpoint factory ammo (win superx) and, I must say, it ain't lookin' nearly as promising. I used an o-ring just like I did on the 204. Current group average is 2.9MOA. Ick. Thoughts? (I know, I know - check the faq)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: The 243... hmmm
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »
Try the Federal 100gr Power-shoks, they shoot good in mine, some 243s will show a preference for 95gr and lighter bullets too, the Federal 95gr Fusion is one such load that is very popular.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline UncleJesse

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
I handload - do you think if I keep pressures down in the 50k psi range it may help?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 01:19:58 PM »
Its a brandy new handi, no?

Go shot it more... don't ever judge how accurate a barrel is until to have a few rounds threw it!! Not to mention the fact that only one load too. Not really fair, do you think? I know you got excellent results with the 204. But you got lucky with the load that the barrel likes.

Done worry about anything till you shoot a couple boxes threw it.

I like to first clean them really good. Then clean them more after every box or so. After a hundred rounds or so I just clean it after a trip to the range. Even then I fire a couple rounds to foul the bore before shooting for group.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tcoggins

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »
I agree with Tim on the 100 gr. Federals.  My 11 year old son can destroy the bullseye at 100 yards with those.

I also handload, and found a load that seems like it will work out (although I am still experimenting).  I am using Hornady 100 gr soft points, over 39.5 grains of H4350.  This is from the Hodgdon manual, and is 1/2 grain under the recommended max load. I was able to shoot a three shot group that was 3/4" at 100 yards, with two of the shots touching.

Based on interpolating the pressures in the Hodgdon manual, this would be about 50,000 CUP.

Good luck with the .243.

Tim

Offline UncleJesse

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »
I don't know how many rounds have been threw her. Bought it used but in good condition. Seems newish. Thanks for the advice.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »
I don't know how many rounds have been threw her. Bought it used but in good condition. Seems newish. Thanks for the advice.

OK wasn't sure. It doesn't change allot. I still suggest you clean, clean, clean, that barrel!!  You never know how its last owner treated it. Sometimes even a seemingly clean barrel can produce dirty patches. You may later find it prefers a somewhat dirty bore, as many here believe. regardless of that, one thing is a fact, more good guns turn bad from a simple a dirty bore.

Tcoggins,
 I have shot the 40grs load of IMR4350 and a 100g bullet for many, many years. It has my most accurate in five different 243 rifles.

Good luck with it, DON'T GIVE UP!!!  I haven't used factory ammo in many years, but I always had very good accuracy with Federal Premium ammo.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Piney

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »
I have a.243 Handi super light and after trying just about everything I found it to shoot the Rem Core-Lokt 100 gr. perfectly. 
Disabled Vietnam Vet USN 70-72.

Offline UncleJesse

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:54:20 AM »
Think I will check the scope rail next.
edit: checked that, screws are tight.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:24:05 AM »
See BEDDING the SCOPE RAIL in the FAQs, just because the screws are tight doesn't mean the rail is tight, if it was mounted improperly to begin with, the screws may have bottomed out on the hardened thread locker in the bottom of the mount holes, it's best to remove the screws and reinstall it to insure it's mounted solid, I do this on all of my Handis, new or used, it's saves a lot of frustration knowing it's mounted properly when I go to the range. ;)  Each of these steps eliminates the possible reason for the poor accuracy.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MrJames680

• Squirrels are just plain no good.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:03 AM »
I own two .243 Handis. My first was used and shot about 1.5MOA.
I bought a second one (identical)for my girlfriend, brand new, and it was shooting about 4MOA out of the box.  :(
What made these two rifles shoot sub MOA is reading the "FAQ's and HELP ****PLEASE READ!!!****"

Without getting into any real detail of what I did, I will say that each rifle has its own mind and prefers a slightly different handload to be its most accurate. The two things that I did to both rifles to increase the accuracy the most was to shoot and clean, the other was to O-ring float the forend. I have done many many other things to these rifles ALL of which are in the FAQ. It took me A LOT of time and effort and $$ to get these rifles sub MOA but it is possible.

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)