Author Topic: Standard RCBS seater die vs LEE dead length bullet seating die  (Read 1044 times)

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Standard RCBS seater die vs LEE dead length bullet seating die
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:05:16 AM »
I am getting back into reloading for my 300 win mag.  I have a standard rcbs 2 die set which comes with a seater die.  I have purchased a lee factory crimp die and now I am looking into a collet neck sizing die.  I have a choice of either buying the lee collet neck sizing die by itself or in a set with a dead length bullet seating die.  Is the dead length bullet seating die better than the standard seater die?

Offline wncchester

Re: Standard RCBS seater die vs LEE dead length bullet seating die
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »
On average, there is little or no difference in the effect of different seaters for common die brands.  Unless you have reason to be displeased with what you have, use it.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:20:36 PM »
 I think "Dead Length Seating die" is just what Lee calls their seating die. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's a Lee standard seating die and a dead length,,

That said alot of guy's like the Lee's, I've only tried one set in 308 and traded it off for RCBS. It was the 3 pc set with Crimp, FL and Seater and it was the Seater I didn't like, just couldn't get used too that floaty thing inside there. The knob is nice instead of the RCBS nut and rod adjustment but I can make tiny adjustments with that set-up just fine.
 I'm sure I'll try the Collet Die some day, But I'm content with my current RCBS seater
found elsewhere

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:40:41 AM »
Well, one reason I am asking is that I am seeing a slight variance in the seating hieght and did not know if the Lee was any better than the RCBS.

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »
Are you measuring oal or using some kind of comparator?

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:19:14 PM »
The dead length seater is just a lee seater die minus the crimping feature.  Allows you to just screw the seater down till it touches the shellholder then a 1/4 to take out any slop.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:25:13 PM »
The dead length seater is just a lee seater die minus the crimping feature.  Allows you to just screw the seater down till it touches the shellholder then a 1/4 to take out any slop.
And the lack of slop is the key.  Using bullets with consistent points, the dead length seater gets them the same length every time.  There are better seater dies out there but not for the money.