Author Topic: Bushmaster DPS version?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Bushmaster DPS version?
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:18:49 AM »
I was in an Austin, TX police supply store here a few weeks ago and saw a Bushmaster A-4 rifle with the Texas star on the side of it, the salesman let me hold it and said it was the "DPS" version (Dept. of Public Safety).  It looked like a regular Bushmaster to me, checked their website and there was nothing on it.  The price was $800.00 NIB, been thinking of picking one up as it might be a rarity.

Anyone know of such a rifle, and what makes it different from the usual Bushy?

Thanks.

Offline saddlebum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I ain't never been killed in my life."
Re: Bushmaster DPS version?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »
You got me curious so I did some looking for you.

"This is the same rifle (except for TX DPS Markings) that passed the Texas D.P.S. torture test and is now being issued to Texas D.P.S. troopers. 3,400 of these rifles have been ordered from GT Distributors by Texas D.P.S., the largest purchase of an AR15/M4 weapon outside of a Federal Agency Purchase."
http://andy.frascone.com/bushmaster-texas-m-4-carbine/

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145962

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12511

According to these guys 900.00 is a good buy. 800.00 for a Bushmaster M4 sounds good to me also. Not so sure of the rarity of the gun though.
The M4 or Heavy BBL carbine with detachable carry handle are my favorite models. If it was me and I could get a plain M4 or Heavy BBL for less I would go that route. But I'm thinking these days that 800.00 would be good for one of those. So if you like the star on the side and the DPS designation, go for it.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »
Thanks saddlebum, yes it was at GT Dist. that I saw the rifle.  A fellow who had a dressed out AK at my range told me about it.  I also looked at the police uniforms as I used to be a security guard in Oregon.  We were initially issued polyester shirts and pants, nasty stuff in hot weather, we got wise and asked for cotton.  I noticed the uniforms at GT were polyester, it must be hard in 105 degree Texas summers wearing plastic! :P

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
Sounds like a good price to me. Go for it. kaliforny compliant AR's go for over $1000 here in the Republic.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline saddlebum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:37:58 PM »
Suggested retail on Bushmaster's website is 1300.00 for a M4 carbine.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:14:13 AM »
The lone star marking would be something a guy would either like or not, but $800 for a new AR has to be a fair price.......... ;D

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE