Author Topic: H & R 20 Ga. Ultra Slug Hunter with Thumbhole Stock On Order  (Read 1277 times)

Offline thinblueline

• Trade Count: (0)
H & R 20 Ga. Ultra Slug Hunter with Thumbhole Stock On Order
« on: September 24, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
Greetings one and all. I recently joined this site and this is my first post. I was looking for one good shotgun for deer that could split time between me and my two teenage boys. Someone told me about the H & R, so not long into my internet searching, I found this website, and boy am I glad I did. Anyway, I looked at a couple different models of this gun, and the thumbhole stock option just came to shoulder and felt the best. The 12 gauge was an absolute beast, and while I was tempted to go that route if it was only me, I thought the 20 gauge would be better for sharing with the boys. Gander Mountain's guns were all dinged up because everyone of them was on display for the whole world to handle, and I'm kind of peculiar about my guns, so I ordered one from Able Ammo, which will come from a warehouse and be sent to a local FFL holder. I was a bit hesitant to spend this kind of money, which will come to about four hundred dollars for the gun only, on a single shot, but the way it sounds, a second shot is usually just not needed if you hit your mark with these slug guns. From all my reading of internet posts and reviews, and balancing wanting to get the best scope for what money I have left over to spend, I've kind of decided on either the Simmons or Weaver shotgun scopes, the former going for about 70 to 80 bucks, and the latter coming in around 100 bucks on sale right now. Any thoughts on either of those two would be appreciated. Then as far as ammo, I realize each of these guns will like different slugs, so I'm looking for recommendations on which three to start out with. I'm really hoping I can find one it likes without having to try six or seven different kinds, because I just can't afford to be buying slugs like that, at 10 to 20 bucks per five. I'd like to find the magic one at Mills Fleet Farm, since they have the best selection here in my home town. Seems like they had a few different Remington, Federal and Winchester options. I cannot imagine us ever shooting beyond 125 yards, and certainly never beyond 150 yards, with most shots probably occurring at 100 yards or less, so accuracy at 200 yards is far less important to me than knock down power at 100 yards. So maybe you guys can give me opinions on what three slugs to try that would fit that criteria. Lastly, I'm wondering about what maintenance steps I should take with this gun when I first get it, as far as cleaning. I have no gunsmithing skills, so I won't be doing anything like trigger modifications or toying with ejectors and such. I'm one of those guys that always has leftover parts when I put something back together, if I get it back together at all. So that's it for now. Thank you all for unknowingly leading me to this gun in all your previous posts that I have searched. I hope I can harvest a bunch of animals with it!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: H & R 20 Ga. Ultra Slug Hunter with Thumbhole Stock On Order
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:33:02 PM »
My sons 20ga USH really likes Buckhammer 2 3/4" it will clover leaf them at 75 yards and they are a little less expensive than actual sabots. As for the the thumb hole stock, I got a 45-70 ultra hunter with the thumb hole and didn't like it, but I do alot of still hunting. Mite have been okay if i were sitting in a blind or a tree stand. Either scope sounds good I like the Simmons pro diamond master series 4X32
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »
You're gonna love the feel of your set up.

I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.

Offline bowtech302

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:04:17 AM »
Either of those scope choices are good ones. I would go with the Weaver, just a little better I think. As far as slugs, each gun likes different ones but my 12 gauge USG really really likes the Hornady SST's. Like 1.25" at 100 all day.