Author Topic: compact hunting binoculars  (Read 2407 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: compact hunting binoculars
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 09:10:54 AM »
There is definitely a place for compact binoculars. I have an old 7x26 Bushnell and use it for still hunting in the woods. I spend at least half of the time using it to penetrate the undergrowth. I often see bedded animals before they see me. A heavier glass would promote fatigue and be used much less often. However, for open country hunting, something like a 10x50 with quality glass is more practical. On guided hunts, the guides I have hunted with usually use quality spotting scopes.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »
Do you have a question or are you simply making a comment?  

I don't like heavy glass either.  On my last elk hunt, I carried my 10X42 binocs the first day and then left them tied to the saddle.  The second day I left my water bottle in the saddle bag.  Since then I have purchased a short action rifle to reduce its weight.  I have a 10X25 Swarovski birding binoc that I would probably take if I get the opportunity to go out west again.  There is no substitute or good glass, but heavy glass can become a burden.

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »
[quote author=charles p link=topic=221671.msg1099240045#msg1099240045 date=12949640  
  On my last elk hunt, I carried my 10X42 binocs the first day and then left them tied to the saddle.  The second day I left my water bottle in the saddle bag.  Since then I have purchased a short action rifle to reduce its weight.  [/quote]I feel your pain, every evening  I would get back to camp and throw stuff out of my day pack. Heck, I didn't think I was carrying anything to start with. Most of my carry weight was water in the end.

I wouldn't leave my Steiners behind they aren't the best glass by any stretch but for the size and value I'm happy
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**