Author Topic: .223 ultra varmint  (Read 639 times)

Offline johnpike

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 ultra varmint
« on: April 23, 2011, 04:12:51 AM »
I am not new to the single shot rifle but I am new to this one.  I traded a 5 shot .38 for a NIB .223 ultra varmint with the fluted barrel plus the guy gave me $75 to boot.  I like the feel and weight of the rifle and I did have some .223 ammo.  I shot it and found it to be very easy on the shoulder and accurate.  My question is since I reload and I want to be able to get the best accuracy out of this rifle what is the best bullet weight.  do these rifles like heavy bullets or light bullets?  What is the twist rate?  I do have a handi rifle in .243 that is a ring tailed terror on antelope and deer that I handload for and it seems to like everything from the 87 grain to the 100 grain bullets. 
Thank you,
 John

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .223 ultra varmint
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 05:54:18 AM »
Welcome John! You'll find twist rates and a whole lot more in the FAQs and Help sticky, but you may still have to check it using one of the methods listed under the list because H&R changed back and forth from 1:12" to 1:9" and back for a number of years, they're all 1:9" now tho, been that way since ~2007, there's also a year of mfr list in the FAQs to determine when it was made.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain