Author Topic: New Super Powders from Hodgdon  (Read 5000 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: New Super Powders from Hodgdon
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »
Im starting to be a little skeptical, just 2 powders that optimized in all of those light mag offerings (243 thru 338wm, and the lever cartridges too, plus the new TC, RCM, marlin express, etc.)

I guess there will be a load manual also ??,  however, I am really interested

Hornady uses a total of FIVE (5) different powders to load the various Ruger Compact Magnums alone. We'll never see the day all the specially blended powders the big ammo makers use are available to reloaders.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
If they make it to easy for us it wouldn't be fun anymore.

That being said, it took time to develop for each gun, but I think I'd be hard pressed to find any factory ammo that shoots more accurate in the guns I developed the loads for than what I use. Mass produced one size fits all really doesn't.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Gohon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 02:41:45 AM »
There was a article in Rifle Magazine that said the Leverevolution powder released by Hodgdon is the blend they use in the 30-30.  The article went on to say when testing for a 30-30 load the author could not match the speed of the factory ammo though he did gain 100 fps above other powders.  Here is a new burn rate chart that shows the new powders and as you can see the new powders are pretty slow.   http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html   (#'s 103 & 125) 

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 04:46:46 AM »
WOW  :o SUPERFORMANCE  That has got to = more and more FPS. Looks like I will need to get a bigger scope for my thuddy-thuddy. Maybe a 4-12x60mm or I might just say heck with it and go 8-32x65mm and 30mm tube, Heck maybe even a 35mm?? Anything that gets me more FPS in my now, open country lever action is a plus/plus for sure. Flatter shooting out to hundreds of more yards than I used to shoot. WOW!! I never thought or dreamed that I could be one of those current hunting periodical long range/game getting shooters. I just may never have to hunt/stalk again. Just see one way out yonder and not worry about having to get "just a bit closer"  ::) THANKS HORNADY yyyyeeeeEEE....HHHHHHeeeehhahaha HHHhahahawwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                             CRASH87
I just thought of somthin; Can or does, this new, no wait.....i bet it does, turn my Marlin 35Rem carbine into gosh honest 100yd Grizzly GETTER!!! :o

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 06:57:16 AM »
There was a article in Rifle Magazine that said the Leverevolution powder released by Hodgdon is the blend they use in the 30-30.  The article went on to say when testing for a 30-30 load the author could not match the speed of the factory ammo though he did gain 100 fps above other powders.  Here is a new burn rate chart that shows the new powders and as you can see the new powders are pretty slow.   http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html   (#'s 103 & 125) 

According to the load data supplied at the Hodgdon website a 170 grain Sierra flatnose bullet can be propelled at 2300 fps with a CUP of 36,000.(200 fps faster than factory) I don't know of any factory ammo other than the LEverevolution that claims this. In the burn rate charts the LE is just below BL-C2 and W748 both used by me in 30-30 loadings. I see the price is about the same as the other ball type propellants offered by Hodgdon so I will give them a try. Even if I don't gain anything I'm really nothing out. We have four rifles chambered in 30-30 so one of them might like it!

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 07:06:09 AM »
I like powders that smell good.   ;D
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »
I don't see any load info for the 308 Winchester. Does this mean it would not work for it? After all they do list info for the 243 and it is in the same family. I have been using Varget with great results but if the new powder shot well I would give it a try. Is there any danger of starting low and working up using this powder for the 308 Winchester? Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 12:15:58 PM »
I don't see any load info for the 308 Winchester. Does this mean it would not work for it? After all they do list info for the 243 and it is in the same family. I have been using Varget with great results but if the new powder shot well I would give it a try. Is there any danger of starting low and working up using this powder for the 308 Winchester? Thanks Dale
[/quote?]

From Hornadys website.
This is another of the spherical powders Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® Manufacturing introduced to answer the frequently asked reloading question: "Can I buy the powder used in the Hornady Superformance factory ammunition?" Superformance delivers striking velocities in cartridges like the 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester and 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Velocities well in excess of 100 fps over the best published handloads and even larger gains over factory ammunition! Because this propellant is tailored for specific applications, the number of cartridges and bullets is limited, but where it works, it really works!

I think this means do not use it in your .308

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »
I better get busy if I'm going to shoot up all that H331 from the 1980's so I can buy some of this new stuff.....Not to mention the other 15 types I have on hand...and the new ones I've already bought.....but I know curiosity will get the better of me and I'll have to give 'er a go.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
Not to get off topic, but I am more excited by Hornadys new high BC 53 grain Vmax than these new powders.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline BenT

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
Wow that evoulution powder is slow!  I've had good luck with RL15 in the 30-30. I did buy the new Hornady manual to get their load data with the evolution powder. I will be buying this powder and doing load development with the bottleneck levergun calibers.