Author Topic: AAC 300 Handi, to buy or not?  (Read 814 times)

Offline tunnug

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
AAC 300 Handi, to buy or not?
« on: December 03, 2012, 04:46:38 PM »
I've got a chance to buy a 300 blackout Handi, but for the life of me I can't seem to find a reason to, other than the fact that I'd eventually put a suppresor on it, AZ recently passed  a law allowing suppresors to hunt with, I've read that it's equivalent to a 30/30 +- in power, other than to just have another Handi what do all of you think about the caliber?

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: AAC 300 Handi, to buy or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:21:19 PM »
I think it's a cool caliber in an AR platform rifle. It has to fit within a certain amount of space and it works well. In a Handi I would think there are better choices.
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Offline RangeRat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:34:56 PM »
The 30-30 Winchester will out perform the 300 AAC Blackout by about 200 to 300 fps. at the AACs' higher end with equal weight projectiles. On the other hand the AAC with its' smaller case capacity is designed to be efficient even at subsonic levels making it a good choice for suppressed use.

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »
I have a 2 guns in this caliber but not a handi.  The only reason I don't have the handi is I haven't seen one for sale face to face. It is a fun cartridge to shoot and a cheap one to load.  I shoot lead bullets out of an encore MGM barrel for cheap and factory loads are about like 30-30's to buy.  It is a lot of fun to shoot.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 06:13:08 AM »
If I ever see one and the price is right I will be picking it up.  Probably shortly after that I will be rechambering it to 308.  Having a 1:8 twist barrel would be great.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 06:22:26 AM »
IMHO, it will be around only a short while and you wont have much trouble finding a buyer if you ever decide to sell. I like 'efficient' cartridges very much and it would serve well loaded to max or down as a pest/small game/plinker. The thing that interests me in these type cartridges the most is that the principles that make it are ideal for reduced velo cast bullet loads with the good BC bullets.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline peak98

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
If you have a 30cal can or plan on getting a can, yes I would pick it up. If you don't plan on suppressing the 300 blackout, which is what it was developed for, I would still buy it ! Be forewarned, you'll want a can to really make it shine. Might I suggest a Thunderbeast 30p-1  ;D
Your weapon sits on top of you shoulders, everything else is just equipment.

Offline tunnug

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »
Thank you for all your replies/suggestions, it's making it really hard to not get it, I would like to get a can for it I just don't know how long before I'd be able to, keep the comments coming.

Offline Hillbilly Jim

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
If you can find one and cont have to pay a premium go for it.
I used mine for deer hunting this year, two deer, one with 125 g bullet and one with 245g suppressed.
I havent tried it yet but I am sure its going to make a great plinker with 130g cast bullets at about 1400fps.  With a suppressor on the barrel  they should be quite enough I wont need ear protection.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:57:48 PM »
If I ever see one and the price is right I will be picking it up.  Probably shortly after that I will be rechambering it to 308.  Having a 1:8 twist barrel would be great.

and that isa fact !!!!!
i don't think i cud have more fun witha .308 as with my m77 with 1:8 that j2 made me many years ago ........... ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
I have wanted one because they are not making a 32/20  :) The idea is a very efficient cartridge, quiet, with a great range of versatility. I dont expect to cough up enough for a silencer/ license , but with careful loading and other methods it can be very quiet. It can go from 32 H&R levels up to about 7.62 X 39 levels, and if you have a rim slot cut, you can make cases from 357 cases as well. Think of this-  if you find 221, 222,223, 17 Rem, 204 Ruger cases, or 357 Mag, and you can make a cartridge that can pop a squirrel , or a deer, and everything in between. You can load from 400 to 2000  per pound of powder, at the light end get 75 bullets per pound of lead.  That makes the primer the most expensive component.
     I know that most of them will be bought by people that can afford some AR type weapon and even the license fee for silencers, but for me one of the draw is how cheap it will be to shoot, and the fact that I can make so much of it. Think of a little 4 wheeler that would run on electric, gas, diesel, propane, natural gas AND moonshine that you can make in the back yard
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline tunnug

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
Well, it's SPF  ;D , I'll be posting a review when I can get it to the range, this'll make Handi # 8. Am I a Handi-holic yet?

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
Handi Holism is not a destination to arrive at, but I think it is more of a state of mind............I would say you are in that state...... ;)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 05:33:47 PM »
Ha!...., its a state of mind, alright.......
Doctor, may I have more medication, please....
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974