Author Topic: Bothered and Puzzled  (Read 590 times)

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Bothered and Puzzled
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
I bought a 25-06 barrel last year off the GBO classifieds and it has had pop-openitis from day 1.  I have got it locking up tight as a drum, even shimmed the latch shelf (I think just a little too much material had been removed previously) and it still pops open after the shot.  It is an accurate barrel, when I am not trying to figure out what in Hades is going on with it and fiddling.  No oily latch shelf, no oily latch.  This thing has very little headspace.  It locks up on heavy duty Al foil, so it has less than 0.001.  The case is flush with the barrel breach face and no material has ever been removed from the face.  With the shim on the latch shelf, it looks like ther is plenty of latch engagement.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is going on.  Any ideas out there?

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Bothered and Puzzled
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:22:49 AM »
gof,

did you smoke the latch shelf to check how much engagement you have?    One thought, if someone removed some material from the latch shelf they may have removed it unevenly which could give you partial engagement.  Also, how much free play is left in the barrel release handle when the gun is closed?  Could also be a weak latch spring.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:27:21 AM »
gof,

did you smoke the latch shelf to check how much engagement you have?    One thought, if someone removed some material from the latch shelf they may have removed it unevenly which could give you partial engagement.  Also, how much free play is left in the barrel release handle when the gun is closed?  Could also be a weak latch spring.

BB

EXACTLY what I would check...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:17:06 AM »
Release lever has about 50% play in it when the action is closed.  The engagement on the shelf looks to be sufficient.  Used a sharpie and I get a band a little smaller than the one illustrated in FAQs.  Maybe I should replace the latch spring with a heavier one.  I know the cases are expanding and pushing on the standing breach on firing - as they must, but it looks like there is enough engagement to hold.  Something is moving enough to force the action to open, though.  It does not snap open - it opens smoothly.  I think I have some heavy duty springs around that may fit.  I will give it a try.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:51:47 AM »
If that doesnt cure it I would suspect the angle of the ramp has been sufficiently changed so it is not just two relatively close inclined planes riding, but a camming action forcing to open.
Good luck and keep us posted; this is an interesting issue.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 06:19:32 AM »
50% latch engagement is not sufficient. 75% is what you want as minimum.

I agree that the angle may have been altered and no longer sufficient.

A sharpie is alright but smoking the latch withhold better show what's going on. I use a sharpie or dykem when cutting a shelf to help keep things square.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline aromakr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »
Since your dealing with a purchased barrel, I would guess the standing breach is stopping the barrel from seating correctly, lightly sand the barrel lug where it contacts the pivot pin. You probably won't need to remove more than a one or two thousands. Just go slow with a 280 or 400 grit wet/dry sand paper wrapped around a drill shank the next size smaller than the  pivot pin, that will allow for the thickness of the paper.
Bob