Author Topic: .223 bull barrel question.  (Read 509 times)

Offline sitdwnandhngon

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 bull barrel question.
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:23:04 AM »
Hi guys. I just picked up an SB2-833 Ultra Varmint (still waiting on my scope and ammo for a few more days :-\)

I had a question about the scope mount supplied. It has the bull barrell .800" like the FAQ says, but when I saw the picture I though that the scope mount wouldn't have the diving board effect near the end on the larger barrel.

It's not a huge issue, I'm flexible, I am just a little concerned about it affecting accuracy if I have to mount one of my rings over top of the gap.

And on the same note, I have a 40mm scope coming with Burris P.E.P.R rings, it was part of the package so I just click buy.

Will these rings be enough to get me proper relief length if it happens to be over the hammer, or do I need to buy a set of extra tall ones.

Thanks guys.

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
Re: .223 bull barrel question.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »
I have a set of mediums rings on mine and it just barely clears the hammer, and has plenty of clearance over the barrel, (only a 32mm objective).  When i mounted my rings I just made sure that I wasn't over the gap, but from what I have read it shouldn't be a problem.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:01:02 AM »

Will these rings be enough to get me proper relief length if it happens to be over the hammer, or do I need to buy a set of extra tall ones.

Thanks guys.
[/quote]

These rings look like they have an angle mount at one end, that is, the rear ring is further back than the end of the mount, looks like that would nicely clear the hammer on a Handi. You might be onto something that has plagued Handi owners who use scopes!

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »
I hope they do work because I could fashion up a light attachment to the top of them for my 200 lumen pocket light and use it for calling at night.