Author Topic: 460 S&W question  (Read 637 times)

Offline ecgate

• Trade Count: (10)
460 S&W question
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:33:12 PM »
I am new to loading 460 s&w. Do you use .451 or.452 bullets for reloading a 460 s&w? And if you can use both what is the difference?

Offline 243dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 460 S&W question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
The only difference is a thousandth of a inch. ;D  Seriously though you can use either size.  Don't use the 230gr and under bullets made for the 45acp, the exception with light bullets is barnes x bullets.  You really need to shoot bullets made to handle the velocity the 460 generates.  Try hornady's xtp mags, not the regular xtp's made for the 45colt but the xtp's that have the word MAG after it.  The xtp mags are made in 240gr and 300grs and are recomended for velocities up to 2300 fps.  I shoot them out of a 45colt levergun at close to 454 casuall velocities and they are a extremely tough bullet thats very accurate too.  I'm sure there are others suitable for the 460 but the xtp mags is what I have experience with.    Dave     

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:25:48 AM »
Don't use the 230gr and under bullets made for the 45acp, the exception with light bullets is barnes x bullets.  You really need to shoot bullets made to handle the velocity the 460 generates.

Pray tell, what problem(s) do you expect to encounter from shooting bullets 230 gr. and under in a 460 S&W?

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »
Don't use the 230gr and under bullets made for the 45acp, the exception with light bullets is barnes x bullets.  You really need to shoot bullets made to handle the velocity the 460 generates.

Pray tell, what problem(s) do you expect to encounter from shooting bullets 230 gr. and under in a 460 S&W?

The reason I say not to use bullets made for the 45acp(230grs and lighter) is that they will come apart on game animals.  I suppose they would be fine for targets and varmints but I wouldn't use them for game animals, penetration would be poor IMO, they are made for velocities under 1100fps.

Offline Grumulkin

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »
I think for varmints and chest, neck and head shots on deer and similar animals they would be devastating.  A bullet that comes apart after entering vital organs actually causes more bleeding and a more sudden death than does a bullet that merely mushrooms.

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »
I understand your way of thinking and there isn't nothing wrong with it, I guess I like to see exit wounds.  If I want a deer to drop in its tracks(usually because I don't want to drag them up the steep hill that they will run off of) I high-shoulder shoot them.  If I'm in a place where I don't mind them running a 100yds I shoot'em behind the shoulder and know I'll have a blood-trail a blindman can follow.  A few years ago I finished off a wounded deer, the only shot present was from the rear.  With the 300gr xtp mag, I knew it would give enough penetration to make it to the vitals.  It done a little better than expected,  it went into the right ham and exited the left front shoulder.  I want a bullet that will make it to the vitals even at odd angles and I'm sure a bullet made for the 45acp won't give me the kind of performance I'm looking for even in my 45colt rifle, a 460 in a pistol will give another 400fps than my rifle, 2000fps will justify the need for a stout bullet if a less than perfect angle is encountered.      Dave   

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »

Speer recommends staying away from bullets with thin jackets(like those intended for .45 ACP and .45 LC) in the .460 because of the issue of flame cutting...this is a quote from their #14 manual.

For a high pressure cartridge like the .460 S&W, jacketed bullets must be built with thick tough jackets not only for proper integrity on game but also to avoid premature erosion of the top strap and forcing cone.   

I use both the 240 and 300 grain XTP-MAGS with excellent results. Speer's 300 grain Deep Curl HPs(formerly known as Gold Dots) intended for .454 Casull also shoot very well.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Grumulkin

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »
Of course, flame cutting doesn't really apply to the Encore.