Author Topic: Best choice for a Progressive press?  (Read 383 times)

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Best choice for a Progressive press?
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
Well, I've decided that I need to speed up my reloading process beyond my single stage press.  I've begun to look at progressive presses and I'm really having a hard time deciding on a press.  These things are expensive and I can't afford to make a mistake.  I load 5 different handgun calibers and I shoot a lot of .223 rifle. I've narrowed it down to three presses: Dillon 550B, Hornady L-n-L AP, and RCBS Pro 2000. Each has features that I like.  I would really like to hear input from those fellow reloaders who have experience with one of these units.

As always, I appreciate everyone's input!

Paul

Offline milespb

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best choice for a Progressive press?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
Paul, I really like the Dillon 550, so much so that I bought a second one. I've never used the Hornady or the
RCBS and they may be fine but I can assure that their customer service cannot be any better than Dillon. Miles

Offline Hit or Miss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:40:47 PM »
I get along great with my Hornady!  It's not a L-N-L though and I don't have any experience with that model, yet.  I have a friend who is waiting for me to come help him set his up.  I have lots of friends using Dillon presses, you can't go wrong there either.
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
KansasPaul, I've got an RCBS Pro 2000 and it has performed flawlessly. I was like you when I was searching for the best progressive for my needs and I called all three companies that you are looking at. The person I spoke with at RCBS sent me a Pro 2000 manual so that I could get a good idea of the press, I thought that was a great idea and very thoughtful and nice of them to do. I had used RCBS customer service in the past with reloading dies and they always came through for me with flying colors. One of the main reasons I went with the Pro 2000 was because it offered two priming options, tubes or strips. I have been using the strips exclusively since I got it several years ago and can honestly say that I have not had one failure with them.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:46:13 AM »
never had an rcbs but have used them. Out of the three my first choise if i could have only one would be the 550. Its just a simpler design and a lot less headaches to keep running for someone just starting with a progressive. ive had good luck with the 3 lnls i have too but tend to be fooling and tweeking them more often then the dillon. The 550s just run and run
blue lives matter

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 06:20:39 AM »
KP

I have been a green fan for years and years but when it comes to progressives it's blue all the way I will say I have tried the 2000 & LnL but stll like Dillon.

As far as a pistol press nothing beats the Dillon SDB but it's not set up for 223 you might want to consider what you load more of 5 pistol calibers or 1 rifle the only draw back with the SDB is you have to use Dillon dies the 550 will use anyones.

I have in my mind the best set up for me a RCBS RC for all my large cal hunting rifles a SDB for pistols and a 550 for SM caliber rifle like 223 220 swift and 22-250
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »
Well gents, it looks like I've narrowed my selection down to the Dillon and the RCBS.  I called Hornady after being alerted that some dies will not work in their LnL press - apparently some RCBS and Lee dies are not long enough to be able to be used in the LnL press. Since most of my dies are either RCBS or Lee and I don't want to replace all of my die sets at this time - it's been eliminated.  I was leaning very heavily toward the Pro 2000 - my brother-in-law has a wholesale supplier who had one in stock for $100 less than the lowest retail I could find - plus RCBS has a $50 rebate right now. But, I waited too long and that unit is gone, with no current eta of when they will have another in stock.  I'm also still looking hard at the Dillon.

Bottom line is that based on input, all three are probably great machines.  At this point it may come down to availability and overall cost.  Thanks to all for your input - I really DO appreciate it!

Paul