Author Topic: Need some help with building a stock.  (Read 438 times)

Offline bigbird09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Need some help with building a stock.
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »
I've been reading around a lot and looking at pictures and all that goodness, and I have decided that I want to try to build a stock for my handi.  I realy like the looks of the full length stocks and being the type that I like to do as much on my own as I can I wanna try to make one.  Atm the only handi I have is a .223 so I will probably make it for that unless I can find a really good deal on a .22 sporter.  My biggest questions are what kinda of tools do i need, and what types of wood am I same to make one out of.  It doesn't have to be fancy and I'm really looking to make this as cheap as possible being my first attempt.  Please feel free to post any links that may assist in making this easier, and any tips you may have.

Also if this isn't the best place for this post I am sorry, and please move it to a more relevant place.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: Need some help with building a stock.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
 You can do it with what ever you have available. Or you can do it the "traditional way" using draw knifes and chisels and sandpaper.

Some will cringe, but I do not have a wood shop with the correct wood working tools. I used a chop saw for trimming length, jig and circular saw for width, and shape. I did pay to have my planed down. Band saw would also work for shaping. a rasp can make quick work on the roughing of the shape. Long drill bit if you have to drill the mounting bolt hole. An electric sander and a Dremel tool.
If you have a router it will also make it easy on you when shaping the for end and barrel channel.

I used pine to make a for-end(cheap and available) Walnut is one of the more popular. If you can find a saw mill, may see what they have for scraps. Flea bay has usually got wood blanks. Gunstock Inc(site sponsor) also sells blanks(email them) Boyd's gun-stocks also sells blanks. Boyd's has full rifle blanks where you can have a for-end to match your stock, also reasonable prices.

Search this forum, also the gunsmith forum, and woodworking forums(these guys have talent). You should be able to find some more post on the subject.  
 Below is the most recent homemade stock that has been unveiled.
 http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,224488.msg1099237296.html#msg1099237296

Here is one of the stocks I made from black walnut.
 http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,158528.0.html

Pictures of progress please  ;)

Lonny

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:47:20 PM »
Search this forum, also the gunsmith forum, and woodworking forums(these guys have talent). You should be able to find some more post on the subject. 
 Below is the most recent homemade stock that has been unveiled.
 http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,224488.msg1099237296.html#msg1099237296

Here is one of the stocks I made from black walnut.
 http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,158528.0.html

Pictures of progress please  ;)

Lonny

thats kinda what I'm going for a stock.  Would something like pine be good for a butt stock tho?  Or do I need something harder, if I'm going to do this on my .223.  My current gun has synthetic and I'm looking to make a little upgrade.  I have some basic stuff I do need to pick up some chisels and Ive been debated getting a dremel for months now, I guess this would be a good reason to pick one up. 

Levi

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline brehenkel

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »
Pine is to soft for a stock. Oak will eat screws and such and is to heavy. Walnut or maple are among the top of species to use for gun stocks. Cherry is sometimes also used but the grain is usually so straight it is not as tough as the walnut or maple. I would have to say as far as tools like Lon said bandsaw is nice for rough out, router is definitely the easiest way to make barrel channels and definitely bring your imagination that is the best tool.  

Brian.

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:41:27 PM »
what kind of maple are we talking here?  In my area we have a soft maple that is pretty straight grained and fairly easy to split.  If i could find a good straight piece with no knots would this be a good canidate, or should I stick to something else.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:51:09 AM »
Try the maple if it does not work you have gained experience in stock making ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 02:30:08 AM »
I used to have an outside wood furnace until we put in Geothermal, and still have an antique inside wood cook stove.  I can't begin to say how many hard and soft maple stock blanks I've burned over the years.  It kinda scares me.  The good part is that my 120 acres keeps resupplying the maple.  I'm not good enough, or patient enough to get into fine wood working, and I don't have the tools.  At almost 70, I think I'll just keep buying finished stocks.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline brehenkel

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:20:42 AM »
Walnut on the Janka scale is 1010 pounds force of hardness. Black maple is 1180 pounds force and sugar maple is 1450 pounds force. Silver, Red, and Big Leaf maple are all under 1000 so I wouldn't use those. Hope this helps.

Brian.