Author Topic: Remington?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline rdstrain49

• Trade Count: (2)
Remington?
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:58:40 AM »
I have shot Colt clones since the mid 60's, Navies and Armies both.  I've recently acquired a Uberti Remington Navy and a Pietta Remington Army.  Both shoot a lot left (I'm not concerned about elevation).  The Uberti, with the dovetail front sight, has been adjusted.  The Pietta has been corrected (I don't have access to a lathe or gunsmith) by filing the rear sight notch.  Not the ideal fix but it worked.  In both cases it seems that the barrel is not indexed properly. 

My question:  Is anybody experiencing the same thing or am I just that lucky.  Is the Pedersoli Remington any better.  Or should I just live with it. ???

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Remington?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:44:06 AM »
Look carefully to see if the barrel is rotated.  The factory doesn't always get the barrel turned square to the frame.  I would have corrected the Pietta windage by turning the barrel rather than filing on the rear sight.  Another fix is to dovetail the Pietta barrel and install an Uberti sight.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:53:50 AM »
Lacking the proper tools, turning the barrel is not an option.  I know that the dovetail can be cut by hand, just not by me.  (a wise man knows his limitations)

I was just wondering if any manufactures take proper care in assembling their product, or if this is just the way it is.

Thanks for the reply:)

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »
 I have nothing but good to say about Pietta revolvers per my own experiences. I have seen photos of old revolvers with sights dovetailed so historically its not taboo. I also would have a gsmith cut my dovetails. I hate hearing of folks that get a less than expected product.

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »
The only complaint I have with the Pietta is the point of impact.  The accuracy is very good to outstanding.  The Pietta Army will shoot longer without fouling and binding than the Uberti Navy.  If the Pietta only had the barrel indexed properly, it would have to rank in the top ten revolvers I've ever had.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »
Just remembered that DGW sells an adjustible rear sight for the Remmies. Could be an option.

Offline Flint

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
The dovetail cutter proper for the Uberti front sight is a 74 degree cutter, and sold by Brownell's.  You need a friendly machine shop or gunsmith with a mill to cut and fit the sight.  Parts for most all Italian repro guns are available from VTIgunparts.com.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies and ideas.  Unfortunately, I'm kind of in the boondocks, access to machine shops, gunsmiths etc. is not much of an option.  I know that the file on the frame is a last resort (if then) but although I would never recommend it, in this case it did work.  The Army now shoots to point of aim.  Appearance is not a consideration, this is a daily carry gun for me,  don't care too much how it looks, just how it shoots.  The mountain lions don't seem to be concerned with looks.

Anyhow, great ideas and input.  Thanks