Author Topic: Would you guys be afraid to buy?  (Read 881 times)

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Would you guys be afraid to buy?
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:50:50 AM »
Would you guys be afraid to buy those refurbeshed lyman dps3 digatel scale? They have the factory warrenty with them, Was just wondering what your guys thoughts where on this subject.Its says factory new refurbeshed scales a person can save 100 dollers on the refurbeshed scales, but makes me wonder why they where refurbeshed what problems they had to get refurbeshed
1 shot 1 kill

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Would you guys be afraid to buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:59:54 AM »
I would wonder too but with a factory warrenty it really doesn't matter.
If something goes wrong with it they have to take care of it.
I say save the money and go for it!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:47:57 AM »
When I see "Factory Refurbished" I have little worry, esp with full warrenty.
It usually means they have identifed a problem with the original due to many returns and have made a simple correction. It can be as simple as a bad componant from one of the suppliers during assembly or a bad molding of the plastic.

If the saving was only 10-20 then I'd buy new, but 100 is a chunk. Many won't buy just because of the stigma of
 "Gee, it's already broke once"
found elsewhere

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »
I purchased a factory refurbished Nikon range finder a few years ago.  It has worked great. 

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
Warranty is only as good as the company involved chooses to make it and Lyman has never had a stellar reputation in this department.  Because of this I would be wary.  I know, I know someone is going to claim they had threads stripped on a Lyman screw and Lyman built them a new house because of it  ???  but this is just not how they have been known to work in the past.  With some other companies I wouldn't hesitate.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:43:10 PM »
ive got one and its a decent unit. I would have never went with lyman but i bought it when there was shortages of everything and its there were no rcbs units to be had then. I havent had the best luck with lymans customer service dept and for that reason id consider a pact or rcbs unit first if you can afford it. Ive also got a pact and it works just as well and there warantee is for life. 
Warranty is only as good as the company involved chooses to make it and Lyman has never had a stellar reputation in this department.  Because of this I would be wary.  I know, I know someone is going to claim they had threads stripped on a Lyman screw and Lyman built them a new house because of it  ???  but this is just not how they have been known to work in the past.  With some other companies I wouldn't hesitate.
blue lives matter

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »
I don't know about the Lyman scale, but there is less of a chance of getting a bad "refurb" than there is of getting a bad "new" product.  The reason is that there has actually been a person that disassembled the unit, checked it out, and tested the unit.  Unlike new which has pretty much been crammed together and shoved into a package.

Just something to consider.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:09:58 AM »
  I've purchases 'factory refurbished' several times without worry. As long as you are interested in the original non-refurbished item. Once it goes through a factory refurb I've not had issues. Mine have been mostly Nikon scopes & a rangefinder.
NRA, Veteran

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
 I got a Glock 23 that was factory rebuilt/checked . Saved a lot . It would not feed any brand ammo . Tried a dozen mags or more. Sent it back to Glock. With in a week had what looked like a new gun with same ser number .
 So to ansewer your question if the company is a established company that plans to stay in business I would take advantage of the savings , it could just be display units .

BTW I think Glock did a great job and is a Good company .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 04:22:50 AM »
BTW I think Glock did a great job and is a Good company .

Agreed!  If your frame cracks, you can send it in and they will replace it for a small fee (sometimes free!).

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 08:43:40 PM »
In my opinion, I would only shy away if they had more then one grade of "reconditioned."

In that case, I'd buy the upper grades.

For example, I bought a framing nailer from Reconditioned Sales, the official reconditioning source for Hitachi tools. 

They offered two grades of tool, and because of the warrenty, I bought the lower grade.

Well, that tool had seen a great amount of use, and was a problem child to say the least.

They did replace the tool, and I upgraded to the better grade which has been a very serviceable tool and well worth the money.

I also recently bought a brad nailer from the same source, and this "reconditioned" tool shows little if any use.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag