Author Topic: Opening day success anyone?  (Read 619 times)

Offline ChrisK

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Opening day success anyone?
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:37:52 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone score today. I shot a doe at 16 yards away while I was in my ground blind that I bought at Walmart. I was using my Mathews Z7 Extreme that is 70@28.5, 340 Beman ICS shaft and a 125 Gr. VPA Terminator(which is made here in Indiana!). I need to go back out tomorrow just to find my arrow. I couldn't find it tonight and those broadheads are good but not cheap.

Offline DisGateway

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Opening day success anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
Seen a doe but she was 50 yards out from me. Hoping for better luck tomorrow.

Offline Dinny

• Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »
I wish I was back in IN still. Today was the second drawing for hunting space at Ft. Sill for archery deer and elk. I was drawn nearly last and stuck with a terrible section to hunt. This section has no northern entrance road and the wind is blowing up from the south. That leaves me with no where to park my truck and nowhere to walk to without being winded by everything in that section. More than likely I will pass and wait until next year... :-\

Maybe there will be a trip to hunt the family land in S. IN this year. ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline ChrisK

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »
I loved hunting in Ferdinand when we lived there.

Offline randy_68

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 04:40:19 AM »
I live in Dale and hunt in Pike Co. My son saw 17 does & fawns in two trips but I only saw a spike and doe. The spike was only 20 ft drom me as I was still hunting to my stand, and he never saw me. It was pretty cool to be that close and it not knowing you are around. No shots taken by my son as the only ones close were the fawns.
NRA Life Member since 1976

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 02:11:28 PM »
 I dont bow hunt anymore(except late season with crossbow) But next door is a gerneral store/ check in station. Since season opened for bows, they have only checked in 1 deer(small doe).
 I have seen a truck load in the mornings on my way to work at 3am.  ;)

Be safe out there, and good luck.

Lonny

Offline ChrisK

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 03:05:56 PM »
wow

Offline omegahunter

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »
Slept in a little late on Oct. 1 and got to the stand a few minutes before legal shooting light.  17 minutes later I nailed a doe @ 5 yards.  She went about 65 yards and was down and out.

PSE Stinger with home-fletched Blazers on Cabela's Stalker Extreme carbon shafts wearing 100 grain Slick Trick Magnums up front.  Arrow was stuck in the ground on the other side of the trail.  Hit her quartering away and 2 blades nicked the edge of the loin and slipping between two ribs.  It continued to cut two nice slices through a rib on the off side and dead centered the humerus bone on the off side leg breaking it completely in two before completely passing through the doe.

I made a few passes on the whet stone to restore the point on the ferrule and put in a set of new blades and the broadhead was back on the shaft and spinning like it was brand new.