Author Topic: 22 Mag for self defence  (Read 2301 times)

Offline baer19d

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
22 Mag for self defence
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »
I saw today that Hornady makes 22 Mag Critical Defense ammo and says thats it's comparable to the performance of a .380 auto. I know it's not a popular choice but does anyone carry or use a 22 Mag handgun for self defense?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 22 Mag for self defence
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:30:17 PM »
The only .22 mag I'd seriously consider for defensive carry is the new Kel-Tec with the 30 shot magazine. Loaded it's barely over a pound. If it proves to function dependably I think it would make a fine carry gun in summer but I don't think I'd want to trust it with heavy winter clothes on the bad guy.

Personally I think the derringers and those tiny NA Arms revolvers are a bad joke and if you ever need one to defend your life you'll find the joke is on you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »
The manufacture "says" its closely comparable to the .380 load, but I wouldnt take their word for it until I have seen some data from actual shootings, even then I would not feel comfortable and would prefer something more substaintual in bullet diameter.  But I guess its better than nothing at all.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 02:46:44 AM »
A .22 mag. will beat a sharp stick 9 out of 10 times.  ;D   Or in other words it's better than nothing if it is all you have or all the gun you can handle.  Oh, and saying that it is closely comparable to the .380acp is really nothing to brag about IMO. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:01:09 AM »
I have seen personal shootings and the results of shootings with the 22 magnum and it will 'blow' right through a medium size man.  Exit woulds have been significant and large, and all this from a High Standard o/u derringer.  I would love one of the PMR30s but can't get them here in nys but if I could have one here I would load it with plain old solids and never worry. 

Offline baer19d

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:51:37 AM »
Just to be clear I'm not considering a 22mag as a carry gun. I just happen to have an EAA Bounty Hunter SAA that I never thougt of as a potential personal defense weapon until I saw those new Critical Defense rounds. I figured it might come in handy as a second home defense gun should it ever be needed.   

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 06:15:45 AM »
Power of a 380, but out of what?
If you look at the Foot Pounds of you standard 22 mag loads out of a rifle thay are on par with a 9mm out of a handgun.  About 350 to 375 foot pounds.
Not sure what to tell you with a 22 for self defence.  i had one of those silly o/u derringers in 22 mag and what a peice of dangerous junk.
If that is what you have, use it till you can get something better.
If you have a choice between 22 mag and 22 LR I would go with the mag.
If you are taking a walk and pack a 22 Mag for small game and other pests, the new ammo may be better on 2 or 4 legged problems.
But If I had a choice etween something that is LIKE a 380 and a 380.
No contest, I would pick a 380 all day long for personal protection.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 06:37:11 AM »
First off, The rim fires are never a recommended caliber for personal defence. At least not as a primary firearm caliber.  ::) Reason being the rim fire primer is not as reliable as a center fire. NOT because of power. But I will add, that IMHO the 22M lacks bullet diameter to get any serious consideration. At least against 2Legged problems.  ::)

Now having said that, coupling a rim-fire into a semi auto for personal defence, is making a bigger problem worse, as that misfire, should it happen, causes you to have to manually rack the slide to chamber another round. But if you where to have it chambered in a revolver, specifically a double action revolver, if the cartridge did misfire, simply squeeze the trigger again. Personally for life and limb I would choose a center fire as a primary carry gun. But as a back up or as a hiking, trail or camp caliber its a good choice. (No life on the line)

I have a couple 22M I carry as back ups and a S&W that's a camp/trail/ATV gun. The "trail gun" is a cherished S&W 651 in 22Mag. It shoots my limited supply of the Federal 50G HPs very well. Its big enough for larger critters live Coyotes or big feral dogs. Easily puts small game in the pot and isn't a big recoil but does have quite a loud crack to it. Before I got the S&W I had a 6" AMT 22M auto. This shot very well until I blew out a case and destroyed the barrel. I bought a 4" barrel to replace it, but it didn't shoot very well so I sold it to buy the 651.

I have also seen the Critical Defence offering in 22mag. From what I hear, its not going to be on the shelves till the end of June.  :(

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.