Author Topic: 250 gr FTX data for .45 Colt?  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Hit or Miss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
250 gr FTX data for .45 Colt?
« on: January 29, 2011, 04:58:22 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone has loaded the 250 grain FTX in a .45 Colt for a Handi Rifle lately.  I understand for a revolver you need to trim the case to a shorter length but in the Handi with a long chamber I'm not worried about it too much. 
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: 250 gr FTX data for .45 Colt?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:23:06 AM »
I haven't loaded the 250 grain but I loaded up some 225 grain FTX in standard length cases and they chamber fine in my 45 Colt Contender. The 250's are designed for the 450 Bushmaster so they don't have a crimp groove (not an issue in a single shot). I just bought a 45 Colt Handi barrel on the classifieds here so when it comes in I'll check to see if the 225's chamber in that also.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:48:31 AM »
I agree, the 250 will be fine for punching paper, but even top loads will not equal the bushmasters velocities. Therefore its safe to assume that reliable expansion will not be achieved.

This bullet is one of the biggest reasons I opted to ream my 45 colt to 454. I have loaded the grand old colt to top velocities for years. But I also have a number of fine old colts that would be a down right shame if one of those loads found it under their hammers....

I rolled cannelures into the 250's and loaded them up in the Cassull to velocities on the heels of the Bushmaster. They shoot very well and will expand in game.

BTW, the 225g is made for the long colt and will expand reliably. BUT this bullet could be a problem the other extreme, its likely it will be too fragile at Ruger lever Colt loads.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
I've shot the 250gr SST (which I think is the same bullet as the 250gr FTX, same BC and SD) at over 1900fps from my 20" 45 Colt H&R barrel before I rechambered it to 460,  Bushmaster data velocities start at 1700fps, I'd try some penetration tests at impact ranges you anticipate using to see how they perform. If it works in Muzzleloaders, it should work at Ruger/TC velocities in the BC carbine. I agree with CW on the 225gr, it's made for standard colt velocities, they only list it to 1150fps in a rifle!  ::)

Tim

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/450_bushmaster_ftx.pdf

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/45ColtFTXRifle.pdf

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-250-gr-SST-ML/

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »
I agree with you guys, I would never use to 225 FTX at rifle velocities on deer. Especially since Hornady doesn't post any max velocity specs for that bullet. I only mentioned it as a reference as to whether it would chamber or not. I'm actually loading it for a 10" Contender mostly just to see how it will do. Another option for the OP might be the 200 grain FTX designed for the 460 since you could probably get those types of velocities in a rifle with the right powder. Plus those bullets have a crimp groove.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 11:41:44 AM »
I agree with you guys, I would never use to 225 FTX at rifle velocities on deer. Especially since Hornady doesn't post any max velocity specs for that bullet. I only mentioned it as a reference as to whether it would chamber or not. I'm actually loading it for a 10" Contender mostly just to see how it will do. Another option for the OP might be the 200 grain FTX designed for the 460 since you could probably get those types of velocities in a rifle with the right powder. Plus those bullets have a crimp groove.

I shot a coyote with a 200 FTX from my 454 carbine, late last season. Velocity was about 2000, range was 30 yards. It punched a fist sized exit hole!! I think it stayed together very well. So at 1700 for so from a ruger level Long Colt load I think it would work well.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Hit or Miss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 12:34:43 PM »
Thanks guys.  A buddy of mine gave me a small handful of the 250's to play with.  I may try to trod a path somewhere in the middle of .45 and .454 levels and see what happens.
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???