Author Topic: 12 guage scope rings  (Read 546 times)

Offline Charlie Tango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
12 guage scope rings
« on: January 08, 2011, 05:06:46 AM »
I am looking for a set of weaver style 1 " scope rings for my new 870.  I see "windage adjustable" rings and shoot through rings that apear to be pretty tough looking.  What rings would you recomend?  Why "windage adjustable", is this something to weaken the ring?

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
Re: 12 guage scope rings
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
I use Burris Z rings.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »
Find the cheapest set of Weaver rings you can that are high enough to mount. I have never had any trouble with any rings on a shotgun.

Offline Charlie Tango

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
what do you mean "high enough to mount"?

Offline usherj

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:59:26 AM »
I had a problem with Warne rings when used with standard Weaver bases. The recoil bent the side tab on the recoil cross bolt. The replacements worked fine when used with Warne bases that allowed full width contact with the base slot. The Weavers only have contact on the sides of the slot. I have also had good luck with the Leupold QRWs when used with any Weaver style base. The windage adjustment feature on other systems can help you deal with the base mounting holes not being true with the axis of the bore. If that is not a problem I would avoid them. The Weaver style mounting with clamping from one side allows you to maintain a secure zero after taking it off and putting it back on since the rings have a "home" on the base, unlike other systems (Millett for example). If your gun has the cantilever base, I would recommend the Leupold PRW since quick removal is not necessary (no irons). and there are no levers in the way.

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 06:46:25 PM »
My favorite base and ring choice is Warne Maxima.  They're steel and bomb-proof.  For rings you can get permanent or the quick-release.  For anything that has iron sights as an option I'd go with the QR.  I've got them on my Encore muzzle loader.  My irons are sighted in for 50 and the scope for 100.  If the scope were to fail I can remove it easily in the field and continue the hunt.
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.