Author Topic: Bassics for handloading ?  (Read 400 times)

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
Bassics for handloading ?
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:23:27 AM »
I never handloaded before and I'm getting a Ruger Blackhawk 357, and a 357 barrel for my H&R. May ream the H&R to 357Max. With these I think it would be a good idea to handload. I do not want to invest too much to get started, so what would be the bare minimum on supplies and equipment to get started ?
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Bassics for handloading ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:32:46 AM »
Check out the stickies at the top of this forum section. They will answer many of your questions. Since there are so many variables, giving you a ball park answer without more info would be a shot in the dark.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:37:51 AM »
Yup,I just found The Definitive "New to Reloading" Thread, I think it will help with the info I need.
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:44:52 AM »
Just for real basic, go with a Lee Handloader, primers, cases, Lee powder dips, powder, bullets! And small nylon, rubber, or brass hammer! Not much investment in this scenario! if you like it later on graduate to more
sophiscated methods.
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 06:46:35 AM »
Yup,I just found The Definitive "New to Reloading" Thread, I think it will help with the info I need.

Also check the LINKS sticky , it too has a ton of info for the new loader .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline schuetzen

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 07:44:44 AM »
I never handloaded before and I'm getting a Ruger Blackhawk 357, and a 357 barrel for my H&R. May ream the H&R to 357Max. With these I think it would be a good idea to handload. I do not want to invest too much to get started, so what would be the bare minimum on supplies and equipment to get started ?

I am basically starting the same process.  I recently picked up a .357 Mag Ruger LCR and a .357 Maximum barrel for my Encore Rifle.  I picked up a .38 Special Classic Lee Loader, ~$25 new, (and came across a used .357 Lee Loader for $5 at a gun show) and will start with them.  I don't know how well reloading works for semi-autos, but for revolvers and single shot rifles, I would assume they should work fine.

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mibMO6MhMxQ

I am also gathering tools for using Lee Hand Press with dies.  Doing some reading with Lee Modern Reloading manual and Lyman Reloading Handbook. 
‎Is it really Zombie Max, if it's not .357 Max?

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and info. I'm getting more excited about getting started.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »
This guy has a bunch of  youtube videos that are pretty good;
http://www.ammosmith.com/ammosmith-com-video-library.php

Git yerself to the local public library and check out a book or two, Free.
Read'm cover to cover.
Lee products have several short infomative videos on-line.

Don't get sold on just one makers products, their all good and they all stand behind their stuff, It's a Ford, Chevy, Dogde, BMW thing.

I don't load pistol, just rifle and only started a couple years ago, I wish I would have 30 years ago  ::)  It's easy enough but there is a saftey protochol that needs to be learned. Go for it, and jump in with both feet, you won't regret it.  ;D
found elsewhere