Author Topic: accurate loads for Mini-14 .223 50gr for coyote  (Read 2097 times)

Offline baflyrod

• Trade Count: (0)
accurate loads for Mini-14 .223 50gr for coyote
« on: January 22, 2011, 05:09:04 PM »
Have a new Mini-14, 16" barrell, 1 in 9 twist. Looking for an accurate load for 50gr Boat Tail, mostly for coyote. 
Thanks,
Bobby

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: accurate loads for Mini-14 .223 50gr for coyote
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:22:20 PM »
I don't have a new mini, but you might want to give Varget a try.  Work up loads from their spec. from their website.  It has proven a very accurate powder with the bullet you describe in my rifle.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »
If you find an accurate load for a Mini 14 you will be an instant Hero!  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
Might try a heavier bullet 55 or 62 gr and Varget.

Good Luck.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 11:32:06 PM »
Every thing I have read on Mini 14s is that "accuracy" for them is not to be compared to bolt action or tuned AR platform guns. Supposedly the newer ones are better but still nowhere near bolt gun accuracy.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:11:29 AM »
The best load is: Barrel strut, trigger job, shortened/recrowned barrel, adjustable gas port, action bedding, recoil dampners and a harmonic node (Flash Suppresor).   ;) 

That or 22 grains of accurate 2015 behind anything from 35 grains to 55 grains.   

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 04:02:35 AM »
The best load is: That or 22 grains of accurate 2015 behind anything from 35 grains to 55 grains.   

I have loaded a couple boxes with this powder too. I had a can in the back of the magazine and hadn't used it before... WOW, from my first load WOW accurate in my H&R to say the least!!  1/2" groups NORMAL!!  Mine is a older BR2015  green can. I looked last nite at Cabelas, they had none. I need to find some more of it!!

As for the Mini, I have owned two, but none recently. A fun gun, absolutely, reliable yep that too, but accurate?? As Samantha Stevens used to say, weellll...  ;) Not so much.  ::) ;D Probably fine for shots within 100 yards.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline baflyrod

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:42:25 AM »
If you find an accurate load for a Mini 14 you will be an instant Hero!  Larry

New ones or "supposed" to be a LOT better. But I know accuracy is relative. But I do want to get the best I can
Thanks,
Bobby

Offline baflyrod

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 04:49:24 AM »
Might try a heavier bullet 55 or 62 gr and Varget.

Good Luck.

Varget would be good I have some I use for other calibers. With the short barrel you are probably right on a heavier bullet. I have noticed with other short barreled rifles that heavy is slower and seems to do a lot better. I have 2 boxes of 50gr Remington Accu-Tip V that I am trying to find the best loads for. Varmint bullets do less damage to the fur but turns the inside to mush.
Thanks,
Bobby

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 08:13:20 AM »
Well it's been maybe 25 years since i had one of the Mini-14's,I ended up selling it to fund another gun purchase but it had lot's of wear and tear on it and the guy I sold it to still shoots it.

I don't remember the exact load or have the data but I remember I use Win. 748 powder still have the can and Hornady 52 gr. BT HP bullets and use CCI BR primers and Win. brass.

There was a corn field behind the house that usually lay dormant over the fall and winter months and that's where all us guys in the neighborhood would gather on occasion and do our long range rifle shooting and sighting in.plinking and testing our reloads.  We didn't have the internet or any old reloaders around to glean info from or be told our particular rifle or handgun wasn't accurate,we just found the sweet spot our particular gun liked fine tuned it to the best we could make it shoot and went with that.

I don't know if I just happen to have an accurate version or it like the load I worked up but soda cans at 100 yds. had no chance.  We had a couple old disk harrow blades set up at 250 yds.roughly and I could ring them pretty regularly with the iron sights,a scope probably would have helped.  
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 08:42:31 AM »
Considering the 1:9" twist, you may find it won't shoot any 50gr bullet accurately. None of my 1:9's will shoot anything lighter than a 55gr. The Sierra 55gr HPBT is a great varmint bullet. I'm loading 25.0grs AA2230 under it and it shoots fabulous in all of my 223's from ARs to bolt guns, twist rates of 1:7 to 1:10.

Offline baflyrod

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:27:58 AM »
Considering the 1:9" twist, you may find it won't shoot any 50gr bullet accurately. None of my 1:9's will shoot anything lighter than a 55gr. The Sierra 55gr HPBT is a great varmint bullet. I'm loading 25.0grs AA2230 under it and it shoots fabulous in all of my 223's from ARs to bolt guns, twist rates of 1:7 to 1:10.
Knew there would be a bottom end on bullet weight, desided to start with 50gr. Hope it will work I have 200. Had to order those online because not too many store in my area carry reloading supplies. Powder is also limited at stores in my area. May have to travel to get some mentioned so far
Thanks,
Bobby

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 05:38:10 PM »
My mini 14 is what it is a fun gun to shoot throw a 40rd mag in and rocknroll.

I never bought it for accuracy and it was never designed for it.

I load 26.5grs BL-C2 with a 50gr or 55gr bullet.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »
The best load is: That or 22 grains of accurate 2015 behind anything from 35 grains to 55 grains.   

I have loaded a couple boxes with this powder too. I had a can in the back of the magazine and hadn't used it before... WOW, from my first load WOW accurate in my H&R to say the least!!  1/2" groups NORMAL!!  Mine is a older BR2015  green can. I looked last nite at Cabelas, they had none. I need to find some more of it!!

CW

It is an awesome benchrest powder for small cartridges and light for bore loads.  I shrunk my groups with my 1:7 twist mini from 3" at 100 yards down to 1.75" just with this powder and with mixed brass to boot. 

Offline baflyrod

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 02:02:29 PM »
My mini 14 is what it is a fun gun to shoot throw a 40rd mag in and rocknroll.

I never bought it for accuracy and it was never designed for it.

I load 26.5grs BL-C2 with a 50gr or 55gr bullet.

Ruger called it Ranch Rifle for some reason.  Can be a hard working Coyote buster or a fun gun to shoot. I bought mine to do both. Have read several reviews where accuracy was 1 1/2" groups. Ruger tweaked the newer models to make them more accurate. But I must admit, I have wanted one since the first episode of "A Team" and can't wait to empty a clip at the range this weekend ;D
Thanks,
Bobby