Author Topic: Daily carry of a Dragoon  (Read 2908 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Daily carry of a Dragoon
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:11:11 AM »
Always having considered myself the "Josie Wales" type  ;) I decided that I would carry my Dragoon this year while deer hunting instead of one of my other handguns.  So, when I got to camp I loaded 5 cylinders with 40 gr. of FFFG and round balls then slipped a cross draw holster onto a heavy 2 inch belt and carried it thusly for the next 8 days.

Although I got used to it, I don't think it will become a part of my regular hunting ensemble.   :D  The heavy revolver pulled the belt out and foward so it was hanging way butt foward and away from my body.  And while this wasn't really uncomfortable, it was ungainly and made it feel like the weapon wasn't secure.   :(

It's possible that it might ride better if the holster was afixed to the belt,  :-\  but...  If I were in Cobb's Legion I would have to carry these handguns in a saddle holster and restrict my personal carry to Army's or Navy's!   :D

Just for grins I'm going to try it again but on the strong side.  ;D

After 8 days I fired it out.  This thing is accurate enough that I would be tempted to try a 20 yard standing broadside shot at one of our 65 pound (dressed weight) does...  after some more practice and with heavier powder charges of course!   :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Daily carry of a Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »
Sounds great, I think you will do well.
I just acquired a 1849 colt , 6 " barrel, 31 cal.
Having fun with it.
I wonder if Contender leather shoulder would help it carry more securely. :)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »
I would probably need suspenders attached to the belt or the whole rig along with my pants would fall off............I once had hips but they fell off along with something else...........anywho's I ain't going to challenge you to a draw while you're wearing that much iron.  That may be why the deer didn't show for you, you scared them away with that hog leg........  ::)
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »
I wonder if Contender leather shoulder would help it carry more securely. :)

I don't think you will have much problem with the baby Dragoon.   :)  They're an ounce or two lighter then the 3rd Model!   :D  I might have to get one of them my own self one of these days!   ;)

That may be why the deer didn't show for you, you scared them away with that hog leg........  ::)

If it scared 'em, they was scared they'd die laughing!   ::)  I can hear them deer talkin' now... "I KNOW Josie Wales, and that boy ain't no Josie Wales!"

I hear you did good opening week!   ;D  I'm proud for ya! 

I'll be leaving out again Friday after work.  Still not much movement down there...  :'(

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
You really don't favor Jose Wales Richard. ??? Are sure you weren't thinkin of Slim Pickins? ;D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 05:02:13 AM »
I have one of those heavy rascals. I would definately have to wear suspenders to help as I have trouble keeping pants up on my skinny butt with nothing hanging on my belt. I get my arm exercise by pulling my pants back up every 50 yards or so.  ;D

I would have to take a shot at the deer you described but I would have aim at about her knees to hit where it should because it shoots so high. No doubt that it would be lethal at that range if put in the right place.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 06:50:56 AM »
My preferred carry for any long, heavy handgun is a shoulder rig. Just to try it out you can simply attach a strap long enough to pass over your head and run diagonally across the chest from the off side down to the carry side. That takes all the weight off the belt and carries the gun high enough that you can sit without digging the muzzle into the ground or truck seat. My best bud likes to attach a waist strap to the bottom of the holster to keep it from flopping around, sort of like the old "tanker" style holsters for the 1911. Myself however, I nearly always wear a coat over it so that is enough to prevent flopping around. Of course it then is a concealed weapon but I do have a carry permit.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 07:56:58 AM »
+1 on the shoulder rig. I usually carry my 1858 remmie in a triple K shoulder rig that is offered by Cabelas. I have nothing but good to say about the arrangement. A bit of neets foot oil to soften it and take the "creaks" out. I am going to get a "rough rider" holster,belt,pouch set from Dixie Gun Works one of these days, the wide belt looks like it would handle the weight pretty good. 

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 06:00:59 AM »
Are sure you weren't thinkin of Slim Pickins? ;D

Now Dee... Ol' Slim was a heck ofa man!   ;D  It's a shame most people remember him only from "Blazing Saddles."  Yup, I could be compared to much worse folk... Peewee Herman comes to mind...  :-[

My preferred carry for any long, heavy handgun is a shoulder rig.

That's what I have for my Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter.  But that ol' Dragoon needs to be carried on the hip!   :D

the wide belt looks like it would handle the weight pretty good.

A wide and stiff belt certainly helps a good deal!  This weekend I carried the Dragoon in a home made holster the member I bought the revolver from sent to me.  It slid on the belt through cuts made in the back of the holster, ones that made a 2 inch belt a tight fit.  Worn strong side the gun carried well.  So well in fact it may become my main "working holster" for that revolver.   ;)

This time I loaded it with 45 gr. of FFFG.  These things sure do beller when you stoke 'em up!   :D  That load didn't group quite as well as the 40 gr.  I think I'll stick with the lighter load until I get get some serious range time in to confirm what load is most accurate.  :-\  Then again... I haven't tried 50 gr. yet!   :o
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:23:31 AM »
Gonna have to get me a dragoon some day. Which model/manufacturer do you have?

I always like Slim in his role as Major Kong, "going toe to toe with the rooskies in nuclear combat"  ;D ( Of course thats in "Dr. Strangelove" for the younger folks

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 08:33:41 AM »
It's a Uberti.  I also have a Uberti 1862 Navy and a Pietta 1860 Army.  Unless I got a real good deal on a Pietta, I'd probably stay with Uberti's.

Ah yes... Dr. Strangelove...  ;D  Lot of good old time actors in that one!   :D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 03:25:20 AM »
Richard, you handled that poke way too well. I either need to work harder on my delivery, or your slippin deeper into the legal aspects of your life. Besides, I would never mention you and Mr. Herman in the same sentence intentionally. Wait I just did. ???
I think I just need to work harder if I'm gonna poke at ya. Your just as cantankerous as myself, and just as hard to corner. 
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 05:24:13 AM »
I think I just need to work harder if I'm gonna poke at ya.

Knock yourself out pal!   ;D  Friends get to take pokes at friends... it's a rule...   :D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 12:48:31 AM »
AtlLaw,

How has you problem with daily carry resolved itself?  While not a Dragoon, I use an N frame S&W for daily carry and find it much more secure if I run my belt so the holster is between the belt and my trousers.  I use a panckae style holster and it feels much more secure this way.  I have done something similar with the Pocket Police (1862) and an 1860 but not yet tried it with my Dragoon or Walker.  Just some more info for you to consider.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 07:37:37 AM »
Hey Hat!

I used the holster in my avatar after the first week.  It is a home made one the member I bought the Dragoon from gave me with the revolver.

It has slits cut in the back of the holster for the belt rather then a loop.  A two inch belt was a tight fit so the holster stayed put and carried close to my body.  It felt and was secure unlike the cross draw I carried it in the first week.

I figure I'll design and make my own after I experiment some more!   ;D

But I've been thinking about a pancake for my 5 shot snubby Taurus Tracker 44 Mag.   :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 01:37:06 AM »
Dragoons were carried on your saddle. I have a Walker and have never attempted to carry on my person. Until you have handled one you just dont know how big and heavy they are. They are great shooters.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline doc623

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 06:09:39 AM »
Just a note.
Another aspect to be considered is the holster.
The holster may not be sufficiently stiff enough.
I have a local fellow who makes holsters and knife scabbards for me and others as a retirement hobby.
He designs/makes the leather holder around the desired item.
He does simple everyday use/working items - which are reasonably priced to reproduction items that cam be expensive.
All are quality. He used 8or 9 oz leather.
I have seen half flap, full flap, regular holsters and cowboy action rigs. He showed me a reproduction of the original belt, holster, and knife scabbard that Gerinamo (sp) had; that he did on special order for a fellow.
I had him make a scabbard for a 4"straight blade knife that had a swivel incorporated into it so that when I sat down I could swivel the body of the scabbard and not get poked in the ribs by the but of the knife handle.
If you want any info I could PM his name and phone number.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
Thanks for the offer Doc!  I've got a fellow that has done some leather work for me but nowadays I pretty much do my own.  I tell Kathie I'm practicing for when I go to the old folks home! 

You're right about the holster I was first using though.  It was a cheap slim Jim I picked up.  It was light wt. leather, oiled and soft.  It just couldn't handle the weight of the Dragoon. 
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit