Author Topic: Need advice mounting scope on a flat top AR-15  (Read 864 times)

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
Need advice mounting scope on a flat top AR-15
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:34:19 AM »
 I'm having problems selecting a mounting system that will work for me.  I need sufficient height to clear a Troy folding rear and without running out of room on the rail, some way to offset the scope to the rear to get my eye relief to suit.  My problem is partly caused by my scope having a rather large eye piece and only being 10" O.A.L. with just 2" of length between eye piece and turret.  This two inches is causing me to run out of space on the rail for rings real fast.  If not for the folding rear iron sight there would be no problem but I'd like to keep it mounted if possible.

Offline JWP58

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Need advice mounting scope on a flat top AR-15
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:39:23 AM »
Checkout larue tactical or american defense mounts.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:50:09 AM »
Will do....and thanks!  It looks like what I need will have to about an inch tall to the bottom of the scope with at least an inch offset to the rear.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:56:38 PM »
Do you have any blocks? Picatinny risers?  If you don't I will mail you a set, and you can go with conventional scope mounting.

http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/rails.html
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 02:42:52 AM »
i gave up putting back up sights on ars with scopes. If you can get a mount that works it usually puts the scope way to high above the bore. If your real conserned about have backup sights. Put them on sight them in and take them off and mount them on your forend and if you need them it just takes a second to pull them off the forend and mount them on the top rail. If you dont have rails on your forend you might be able to store them ahead of the scope on the top rail. You will need to pull off the scope to use them anyway so it only takes another couple seconds to move them back into position. Like i said i dont even bother with them anymore unless im useing something like an aimpoint that allows the use of them even when the optic mounted.
blue lives matter

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »
I run Burris Tactical extra-high rings for my Millett DMS.  My GG&G BUIS sits behind the rear ring and underneath the scope bell.  The front ring sits in the first slot on my forend.  It's still at the standard 2.6" height, so my head position does not change whether I'm shooting with irons or optics.  I'll probably go to a one-piece mount for the durability and to get the entire mount on my upper, but what I have now works good.