Author Topic: Lee Collet Dies?  (Read 938 times)

Offline dovehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee Collet Dies?
« on: January 22, 2011, 04:33:40 AM »
We bought a set of Lee's Deluxe Dies to load for my son's new .22-250.  The set including their special collet die for neck sizing.  I thought this would be good for accuracy and case life, not to mention not having to fool with all the messy case lubes.  I used it on two boxes of shells and it seemed to work okaay, though I was a little concerned about their lack of instructions as to how to use this die: "after the die contacts the shell holder press down with a minimum of 25 lbs of pressure to force the collet over the case neck".  Sometimes you felt nothing and other times there seemed to be springing action as the collet was recessed.  Well, the die broke as I was starting on the third box of shells.  The collet now goes up and down with just finger pressure.  I went back and full-lenght resized that box using the conventional FL sizer and case lube.  The dies were purchased back in October, 2010 so they are less than a year old.  I guess I am going to have to send the collet die back to Lee and hope they will replace it.

I have another set of these dies which I use for my .22 Hornet, and so far (knock on wood), I haven't had any problem with Hornet collet die.  Was breaking this die just a fluke or is there some trick to using these collet dies?  Did I press down too hard on the ram handle - there really is no way I can estimate " a minimum of 25 lbs of pressure".  This sort of burst my bubble on Lee dies which, up to this point, I thought were a good value.  I have several other sets - handgun dies - with which I have been very pleased.

I appreciate any constructive comments you can offer.  Please don't just say that Lee dies are junk or you should have used Redding, RCBS, etc.  That really won't help me out.  Thanks in advance.

???

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Lee Collet Dies?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:54:18 AM »
Seems like someone else on this forum had a collet break in their LEE collet die. As I recall, they contacted LEE by phone or e-mail, explaining that the part had broken. A few days later, they received a new part in the mail.
I have never had a problem with their collet dies myself. Some folks have put too much pressure on them and have popped the aluminum caps off but I think that may have been an over 25# recommended pressure on the arm.
For an easy reference to how much 25# pressure feels like, use a bathroom scale and push down on it and get an idea how much pressure is used to obtain a 25# reading. You might be surprized at how little effort is needed to get to that 25# weight.
Hope that helps.

Bill

Offline wncchester

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:56:02 PM »
"concerned about their lack of instructions as to how to use this die: "after the die contacts the shell holder press down with a minimum of 25 lbs of pressure to force the collet over the case neck".  

Okay, I'll try but I really don't have any more to add to the factory instructions, that pretty well covers it.  Fact is, it's a "feel" thing that has to be learned.  If you know how heavy 25# is, using about that much force on most presses will size most necks quite well. 

"Sometimes you felt nothing and other times there seemed to be springing action as the collet was recessed.  Well, the die broke as I was starting on the third box of shells."

Well, if you felt nothing, that was much less than 25#!  Not sure what you mean about "springing action", the collet has a tappered upper portion that squeezes in on the up stroke and springs back out when ram pressure is released.  Normally.

IF you have "broken the die", does that mean you have pushed the threaded soft aluminum top cap out of the die body?  If so, you put far too much pressure on the ram!  That cap is designed to be a 'safety' device, keeps us from serious damage to the die body or press.  Lee is very likely to send you a new cap - and a warning! - if you call or email them.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:29:29 AM »
I have limited experience with the Lee Collet Dies, but do have a set for my 224.  And I love it, my  groups shrunk a lot. Matter of fact just the other day I ordered a custom set for my 300 RUM along with a factory crimp die. The only other possibility is that you pushed the collets into the shell holder, which it says in the directions never to do...  Either way, Lee will fix it.  Great customer service, but what would you expect from Cheeseheads.. Go Packers!!!!
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:12:08 AM »
Lee makes two types of collet dies.  For the one for your 22-250, look down at the top of the die as you bring the ram of the press up.  As you bring the ram up, you will see 4 of what I'll call fingers come together.  Said fingers are what pushes the neck of the case back to the proper dimension.  You should only exert enough pressure to bring the spaces between the fingers completely closed; any more than that won't size the case neck any more and will put you at risk of breaking the die.

Lee Collet Dies are nice in that they eliminate the need for case lube but, sometimes the bullets are loose in the case and sometimes the accuracy with cases sized with that die is much worse than cases sized the traditional way.

By the way, Lee's warranty is good for 2 years so they'll probably fix or replace your die.

Offline telebasher

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
Go to You Tube and  check out Ammosmith's 2 part demo on the Lee Collet Die. Very enlightening and imformative.

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
For the one for your 22-250, look down at the top of the die as you bring the ram of the press up.  As you bring the ram up, you will see 4 of what I'll call fingers come together.  Said fingers are what pushes the neck of the case back to the proper dimension.  You should only exert enough pressure to bring the spaces between the fingers completely closed; any more than that won't size the case neck any more and will put you at risk of breaking the die.

Sounds like your describing the factory crimp die which is a collet.   

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 03:19:35 PM »
The crimp die and the collet die work the same way except that the collet die has a mandrel that the collet forms the neck to.  The crimp die has a lip in the collet part to crimp the case instead of form it to a mandrel.

Offline McDerry

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
The crimp die and the collet die work the same way except that the collet die has a mandrel that the collet forms the neck to.  The crimp die has a lip in the collet part to crimp the case instead of form it to a mandrel.

I was refering to the part where one can visual look into the crimp die from the top while the neck sizing die has a cap to hold the mandrel in place.

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »
I have the collet neck sizing die and have had no trouble with it, plus it produces ammo that will always group under 1" @ 100 yd.,  oftentimes half that from my 12# Savage.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Catfish

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:53 AM »
I have use the Lee collet dies and was not impressed at all with them. If get a good neck size only die. If you want the best get a bushing die.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 12:42:26 PM »
If you want the best get a bushing die.
To each his own.  I've had great experience with the Lee collet dies in .204, .223 and .243.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 05:51:42 PM »
When you say that one time you feel nothing and another time it is hard to push--you may need to check your brass lenght. The collet die works best with uniform brass lenght.

cybin

Offline Willyp

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 12:50:47 AM »
The hardness of the brass,has alot to do with the collet action! I think it says,in the instructions,you may have to aneal your brass,after a while,to get it back to gripping the bullets???
Willyp

Offline DannoBoone

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »
Are you using a Lee press? There are different instructions for Lee presses
and other brands that toggle over center at the end of the stroke.
We need to change our politicians
like we do dirty diapers.............
for the same reason.

Offline fast*eddie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
I buy the Lee Deluxe Rifle dies and also have their pistol dies . I have relaoded 223 , 7-30 waters , 308 , 270 and 44 mag while using the Lee Dies . No problem with any of the sets . And ......... I am using an old Lyman Turret press , not that that matters .
Semper Fi !