Author Topic: Can someone fill me in on the 6BR round?  (Read 917 times)

Offline fox fire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Can someone fill me in on the 6BR round?
« on: January 27, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »
I found a handi rifle built into a 6BR, the first 6BR i'd seen matter of fact and I just seem to have a hang up forit all of a sudden, hope'n I can find some info about it.
  The one he had supposedly was built for compatition but a target with a3/4 inch group didnt look like it was very good at it, but I want it for a coyote shooter.

My question...what size/type of hunt'n (I assume it it would be a good little round for hunt'n but dont really know) bullets are made for the 6BR and just how accurate is it, and lastly how is the reload cost???

Thanx in advance guys.
I've never been lost,,,just rite fearsome confused for a few months.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
Re: Can someone fill me in on the 6BR round?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:14:13 AM »
Here something to read  http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

What type of bullet depends on the twist and how it's chamber there the 6br chamber for the Norma case or the Rem cases.  My 6br is a tight neck with 1/14 twist set up for the 68/70gr bullets on a Rem action and it's one of my varmit rifles that I'll use PD shooting.  Mine will do in the .2's 5 shot groups and I also have a 22br tight neck on a ruger #1 action that's my one and only coyote rifle.

You can put a 6br togehter without a tight neck they call that the no turn neck set up for the Norma case and that is a pretty accurate rifle for the VLD type bullets.  Here what a good 6br match rifle can do
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek066.html

When I had the 22br done on the ruger # 1 again it was a tight neck rifle with Kepplinger set trigger and the forend was bedded and Rem varmit contour fluted barrel and it will do in the mid to high .2's.  I also have a 6ppc  set up the same way on a Ruger #1.

I wouldn't be impressed seeing 3/4'" goups out of a 6br.  I think some think just because it's a 6br it should be and accurate rd but they don't have a clue on how to put one together or have one build much less how to shot one.

Brass cost Norma runs alittle over $100 per 100rds Laupa runs arounf $90 per 100 and alittle less for Rem 6br about $85. per 100 you can shop that around maybe get it for less.  If you shooting the VLD bullets that run around $30 plus for 100 bullets again it depends on twist and how that rifle was throated.

I know nothing on the handi rifles and don't mean to hurt anyones feeling that own one.  You can get on the 6br site and see what you think that handi rifle my shoot smaller groups how it's been loading my be the problem also just never know.  Well good luck

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 06:00:51 AM »
The 6 BR is about 250 fps slower than a 243 and the brass will cost alittle more when you start. As for accuracy it has far more to do with the barrel than the round. If you don`t mind big holes in them use the liter varmint bullets. The 6 BR is a very good coyote round if you keep your shots under 250 yrds., or so. It will do the job alot farther out if you use a range finder, a scope with target knobs and work up a good drop chart.

Offline fox fire

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 03:26:35 PM »
Roper, Catfish, Thanx for the food for thought, Its hard to imagine shoot'n those kinda groups at 600 yards, but then again I dont know anything about bench shoot'n, sounds like a lotta fun but also sounds very pricey to have quipment thats fit to compete, very interest'n to me none the less.

thanx again guys.
I've never been lost,,,just rite fearsome confused for a few months.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »
6BR in a Handi?  What a waste!  A good shooting Handi is a 1 MOA rifle.  Chambering one in 6BR sacrifices several hundred FPS as well as cheap and plentiful ammo compared to a .243 Win for absolutely no gain.  I own a Handi and I like it, but I understand its limitations.  A precision rifle it isn't, doesn't matter what it's chambered in.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
fox fire,  for not alot more you can pick up a Savage at a gun show in 243. You will then have a plat form to build to build a better long range rifle if you ever feel the need. I have around $ 1,000 in the rifle and another $ 1,000 in the scope. But with a Savage you should have no problem with coyotes at 500 yrds., with a good drop chart and a range finder. I would recomand you bed the action, which you can do yourself for under $ 20. If you get one with the flimsy stock and new stock would not hurt, but you can build it as time goes by, again, if you feel the need. But, if you are going to try to reach out you will need a good scope with target knobs. I have picked up a coulpe of 6 1/2 x 20 Leupolds for $ 400 ea. at gun shows and put knob extentions on them.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »
The 6br is inherently one of the most accurate cartridges yet developed, given the following:

1.  Solid, trued receiver, like a Kelbly, Stolle, BAT etc
2.  Great barrel like a Lilja
3. Fine trigger like a Jewell
4.  Great stock like a McMillan
5. Excellent rest like a sinclair, with top notch bags
6.  A shooter who can read wind, mirage, etc, and know how to compensate

6br in a handi is a fine, low recoil cartridge, but have proper expectations.  It is 90% as fast as a 243 with a third less powder.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus